IGNORED

3D Audio for everyone is becoming a reality.

STC

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to Santana this evening on Tidal (HiFi tier) via my iPhone 6S and I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. The 360 Reality Audio can be enabled in Settings and is only recommended for headphone listening. It's supported on iOS or Android devices but there are a number of caveats.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002767377-360-Reality-Audio

In Tidal (in the UK), if you select Explore and scroll down there is "360 Reality Audio" and selecting this takes you to 53 albums and 2 playlists.

I noticed the Maxx Audio that came with Dell laptop sounded very good for the closely placed internal laptop. Smyth Realizer is another concept that would enhance the 360 Reality Audio. A better and cheaper version to Smyth Realizer is currently being developed for headphones. A venture capability and one university is working on that. Thanks to faster and cheaper CPU, the future is bright for real 3D sound out there. 

On 9/7/2019 at 4:59 AM, STC said:

...But looks like binaural loudspeakers is a possibility. 

https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/360-reality-audio

Under "How it works" it reads:

"Experience 360 Reality Audio with your smartphone, any headphones, and a subscription to a premium music streaming service."

So it will not work for those of us who don't own a cell phone or subscribe to a streaming service. 3D Audio from two speakers would be worth checking out.

BTW my phone is a corded landline, I don't believe I will ever purchase a cell phone. The free internet offered by my apartment complex doesn't allow streaming. Why can't it be made to work with a regular audio system and computer? 

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Teresa,

3D audio means reproduction that confirms to how we perceive sound. The cues are in confirmation with how sound is localized. Apps like Sony or SR are just a small attempt to achieve that. 3D exists the moment you hear the sound from the speakers. The reason why stereo is limited is also because they are in fact 3D audio by themselves and you are hearing the perfect 3D recording in stereo and competing with the 3D sound from the speakers themselves. 

But after spending decades with good stereo system it is hard to believe that it could be improved further. Unless, you are willing to take the first step to experiment the difference by using a small cushion, then whatever comments you are making are just comments without actually knowing what 3D sound is. It is not a fancy word. 

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I actually talked to the guy who wrote the SDK for Sony and its 360 audio product, on Sunday night at dinner. I have test files and an app for listening. 

I hope you like it. IMO, the more you are exposed to live and concert hall performance, it is hard to feel headphones listening as real. You need pinna excitement to sense sound coming from a direction. YMMV.