IGNORED

SMSL m500 MQA Dac $399

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got mine for 351$. And this could be best purchase of my life for this price.

I have Win10 and use Roon to play Tidal through Mr.speaker Aeon C.

The inside amp is even better than Gilmore mk2 lite and more bass powerful which surprise me.

I think it is way better than Chord Mojo which I had it before but my friend will send me his to proper compare them.

Another interesting DAC&amp compo is Topping DX7pro and D90 DAC only.

I think 2019 the year where high price DACs will have difficult fight.

On 11/10/2019 at 5:17 AM, w1000i said:

I just got mine for 351$. And this could be best purchase of my life for this price.

I have Win10 and use Roon to play Tidal through Mr.speaker Aeon C.

The inside amp is even better than Gilmore mk2 lite and more bass powerful which surprise me.

I think it is way better than Chord Mojo which I had it before but my friend will send me his to proper compare them.

Another interesting DAC&amp compo is Topping DX7pro and D90 DAC only.

I think 2019 the year where high price DACs will have difficult fight.

Thanks for the comments....

I had a Topping D70 - OK but no dynamics, very disapointed, sold it

Also a Topping D50 - good vocals but plastic sounding acoustic guitars and bass stuff like Precision Bass all sounded like it was recorded through a cheap DI straight into the board, sold it

Gustard A20H - great DAC all around, quiet, dynamic, nice tone, and surprisingly good preamp (I did not try the headphone amp).

So, I think you are right, the DAC makers are making some great mid-priced stuff, but probably best to check all reviews before purchase.

Did you try any DSD with with the M500?

I was wondering if any problems with pops or other start/stop/switching noise..

• 2 months later...

I just read the review of the Topping D90 at Audio Science Review, and it measured better than all but one or two of the 200 some DACs that have been tested.  The SMSL M500 using the XLR outputs also measures extremely well on the site. 

I agree partially with motberg above that it would be nice to have some subjective comments to confirm the measurements.  However, while good measurements may not prove a DAC will sound great, I think a DAC that measures badly should be avoided.   

Since both the D90 and M500 measure well, it really puts the onus on the reviewer to confirm any deviation from a good sounding result since the DACs are reproducing the signal with a high degree of fidelity to the original input.  I would be hard pressed to explain what is being heard if it does not sound good.  

1) Selah Audio Fedele Speakers (Revel in ceiling surrounds) QNAP TS-251 NAS accessed w/ a Ruku Ultra through SPDIF ipurifier into a Marantz SR7008 A/V receiver.

2) Freya + preamp, Hypex NC400 Amp, Zaph L18 Speakers, Martin Logan Dynamo sub-woofer

Bluesound Node 2 and Pro-Ject Expression w/ AT440mlb.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:57 AM, arcman said:

If you want detailed review for D90, check this reviewer.

https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d90-review-a-genre-master/

On 1/23/2020 at 12:11 PM, motberg said:

It is interesting the Soundnews reviewer noted the lack of dynamics for the D70 a few times...

The good news is that he says the D90 does not have this problem !

Yep, He mention that even in the comment that D90 way better in speed,bass and dynamic.

I want him to try chord qutest or hugo2 to kill the doubt :)