IGNORED

Finally a Schiit product I can get excited about....

Norton

51 minutes ago, exdmd said:

If you follow the kickstarter updates they are only shipping about three a month. I would avoid Mag Lev like the plague. If you have the turntable itch just get a Sol and enjoy it.

I would love to hear a Sol, but in my system. Something I am used to and how it sounds would be directly related to the change in equipment. Hearing it at a show, is a hint, but not a real picture of it.

The Maglev, seems to me, would cause more issues than it fixes. How do they isolate the maglev part from the cartridge?

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

The Maglev, seems to me, would cause more issues than it fixes. How do they isolate the maglev part from the cartridge?

I have that exact question, and was what I was referring to above when I mentioned that although I see how it could be done there would be a lot of things yet to overcome.

No electron left behind.

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have that exact question, and was what I was referring to above when I mentioned that although I see how it could be done there would be a lot of things yet to overcome.

I was just stating the obvious :D 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 9/5/2019 at 10:04 AM, Norton said:

I’ve never quite bought into the whole Schiit thing, but hats off to them, this looks to be an interesting new product and potentially great value for money: https://www.schiit.com/products/sol

Looking forward to the reviews.

Thanks for the heads up. Did you watch the setup video? I’m impressed in the materials, the build quality (from China, of course - assembled here by Schiit) and the fact that EVERYTHING is adjustable. Couple of observations here, though:

First, the motor has very little torque. The user must give the platter an initial spin to get the platter moving - just like the original AR turntable with its two “clock motors”.

Secondly, the technician set the table up with a Grado cartridge. If you call John Grado and tell him that your arm is a unipivot type, he will strongly advise you to use another brand of cartridge because Grado cartridges don’t work well in unipivots. In my case, I was trying to score a Grado Reference Series cartridge to review. When I told him that I had a Mayware Formula 4 arm on my table (it was a present to me from J. Gordon Holt, and therefore, as well as being an excellent arm, has sentimental value to me) he refused to send me a cartridge for review.

George

19 hours ago, gmgraves said:

First, the motor has very little torque. The user must give the platter an initial spin to get the platter moving - just like the original AR turntable with its two “clock motors”.

In addition to the low torque, the thing that really bothered me is that there's no indent/groove machined into the platter for the belt to rest in. So it's just sitting on the outside of the platter, like on some of the lower Pro-ject TTs. So one will always have to be on the lookout for 'belt droop.'

While I could live with the push start, I can't abide having to deal with the rubber band [sorry, belt] constantly threatening to fall off the platter. I would guess this also makes setting the motor location somewhat more difficult, since as you get to the point where tension starts to loosen, your belt is gonna start to drop off.

Anyone have any experience with belt setups like this, with no detent/groove to stabilize the belt?

31 minutes ago, garrardguy60 said:

In addition to the low torque, the thing that really bothered me is that there's no indent/groove machined into the platter for the belt to rest in. So it's just sitting on the outside of the platter, like on some of the lower Pro-ject TTs. So one will always have to be on the lookout for 'belt droop.'

While I could live with the push start, I can't abide having to deal with the rubber band [sorry, belt] constantly threatening to fall off the platter. I would guess this also makes setting the motor location somewhat more difficult, since as you get to the point where tension starts to loosen, your belt is gonna start to drop off.

Anyone have any experience with belt setups like this, with no detent/groove to stabilize the belt?

Many TT's have them. My Marantz has the same design but no issues.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

33 minutes ago, garrardguy60 said:

My Michell Gyro (Orbe platter) had same setup and I had no problem in 17 years’ daily use.  I think it’s quite common, as I recall my Origin Live Resolution was also like this.

14 hours ago, garrardguy60 said:

I noticed hat too. I’ve  encountered similar setups with flat belts, and don’t remember those belts walking off the flat platter. Maybe it’s not a problem. My old Michelle GyroDeck had a groove in the platter for that round cross-section belt, so that never was a problem with that deck.

George

On 9/6/2019 at 9:27 PM, gmgraves said:

Did you watch the setup video?

I have now.  Adjustability of tonearm  is v. cool, esp. for vta  and azimuth.  Not sure though that on the fly VTA is that desirable a feature in practice , esp for those shopping at this price bracket (ie normal people, not obsessives).  But easily adjustable azimuth is comparatively  rare and definitely of value for initial setup

I’d need to be feeling brave and v. sure of stylus guard remaining put to mount cartridge to a loose tonearm like that, esp. wiring  first.

If I didn’t already have a decent TT, this would definitely be on the shopping list.  Comes across as a sophisticated offering with lots of thought put into it, vs price competition.  

16 minutes ago, Norton said:

I have now.  Adjustability of tonearm  is v. cool, esp. for vta  and azimuth.  Not sure though that on the fly VTA is that desirable a feature in practice , esp for those shopping at this price bracket (ie normal people, not obsessives).  But easily adjustable azimuth is comparatively  rare and definitely of value for initial setup

I’d need to be feeling brave and v. sure of stylus guard remaining put to mount cartridge to a loose tonearm like that, esp. wiring  first.

If I didn’t already have a decent TT, this would definitely be on the shopping list.  Comes across as a sophisticated offering with lots of thought put into it, vs price competition.  

You have a point vis-a-vis features-vs-customer type, but I used to have a conrad johnson turntable with a Rega arm and a third party on-the-fly VTA adjustment. It really works. You can hear the change pretty easily and it can be profound. So I guess what I’m saying is that although you are right that most people who buy this deck won’t care, those who are sophisticated enough to understand the importance of being able to set the VTA by ear will certainly appreciate that Schiit thought to include it.

George

has anyone read the manual-you would have to be a Clarkson graduate who didn't play hockey to put it it together-- WHY BOTHER? and it doesn't even include a cartridge(putting that on is a whole other matter) maybe people at that better school 12 miles south of Clarkson on rt 11 would(but i hope not)

don't get me wrong i love their products have everything from the original magni/modi/fulla/gungnir now new gungnir multi bit and a raggy2 but this product defies description maybe it's their way to MAGA-just think of the hundreds/thousands of small companies all over the country full of millenials who could put this product together for you

5 hours ago, bobbmd said:

has anyone read the manual-you would have to be a Clarkson graduate who didn't play hockey to put it it together-- WHY BOTHER? and it doesn't even include a cartridge(putting that on is a whole other matter) maybe people at that better school 12 miles south of Clarkson on rt 11 would(but i hope not)

don't get me wrong i love their products have everything from the original magni/modi/fulla/gungnir now new gungnir multi bit and a raggy2 but this product defies description maybe it's their way to MAGA-just think of the hundreds/thousands of small companies all over the country full of millenials who could put this product together for you

It's no different than any other turntable.

No electron left behind.

8 hours ago, bobbmd said:

has anyone read the manual-you would have to be a Clarkson graduate who didn't play hockey to put it it together

I know that AS forum dwellers just hate to have to tweak, assemble or work things out for themselves.

But it’s a deck that combines a lot of adjustability with a direct sales model cutting out dealer margin, but also dealer service.   

Looks to me to be maybe an hour initial set-up tops, seems reasonable given the price.  Lucky it’s not a suspended design...

14 hours ago, bobbmd said:

Shipping fully assembled turntables with platter drive shaft in place contacting a micro-tolerance bearing is a big "no-no." Same problem with the tonearm in place. 

So it takes a bit of time. New owner will prob learn something in the process. 

IMO in the end it is worth whatever effort is involved.

16 hours ago, Elon said:

A lot of folks seem skeptical about the unipivot tonearm. What is the knock on them?

I’ve often wondered that myself. John Grado wouldn’t send me a cartridge review sample because I was using a unipivot arm. He said his cartridges didn’t work well with them!!??

All we can do is speculate. A unipivot probably has the least amount of arm friction of any design. The only point of contact between the actual arm and the arm mount (and thus the turntable plinth) is the single point upon which the arm sits. I would think this to be a good thing!

OTOH, however, unipivot designs do tend to rock from side to side because unipivots work in all lateral planes; 360 degrees, while conventional gimbal designs can only move right to left in an arc, or up and down in the fore-to-aft direction. But I’ve had several unipivot designs (including the walnut arm that Joe Grado, the company’s founder, sold in the early Sixties) and I’ve never noticed any unipivot arm rocking side to side while playing.

George

20 hours ago, gmgraves said:

But I’ve had several unipivot designs (including the walnut arm that Joe Grado, the company’s founder, sold in the early Sixties) and I’ve never noticed any unipivot arm rocking side to side while playing.

That's obviously because you hate and never play rock music, George. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron