IGNORED

ATH headphones ~150$ for rock music

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for headphones for rock music for around 150$. I'll plug them to my Xonar DX on PC. I really wanted to try Audio-Technica as I read a lot of good stuff about this brand and wanted to test it myself. I don't really have any music shop in my city that will allow me to test various headphones, so I just need to find one that is good "on paper". I was almost convinced to buy Audio-Technica ATH-M50x but then I found a lot of negative reviews complaining about bumping bass and statements that previous model (ATH-M40x) is much better (also 50$ cheaper). What do you guys think? I was also thinking about MSR7 going little above on budget (around 200$ in my country) but then I read that they need good source or they will be too bright (whatever that means, I don't really get audio slang yet). Also I read that they are so precise in sound extraction they can play really bad when recording is sloppy. I use only Spotify so will they sound bad? 

Should I really stick with ATH for rock music? 

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

@judasz - hopefully, you'll find someone who's heard the cans you're considering.  have you been over to www.head-fi.org?  head-fi is a large site that's dedicated to headphones and headphone amps -- you should have good luck there.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of ATH-M50x's and am really happy with them. Comfortable and easy to listen to for a long time at a stretch. Well represented in studioland. if you don't have a local dealer try B&H Photo. My second favorite headphone after JA Audio's that were much more expensive. I think you will like them!