IGNORED

Article: Audeze LCD-4z Review

22 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

That's a terrible idea.

So any negative review gets a retry.  

I couldn’t disagree more.  It demonstrates Audeze’s confidence in their product and their willingness to put their product in the hands of someone who will perform a fair evaluation.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

@AudezeLLC I recently had the pleasure of listening to the LCD-4z through a dealer in Las Vegas. I ended up loving the headphone and thought it was fantastic in all aspects. My experience with sound quality was 100% the complete opposite of what the reviewer has stated his experience was like. Keep the up the good work and I appreciate you coming onto the forum and clearing up this matter.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I don’t get it. A rose by any other name, and all that. Audeze might not have someone called a Technical Director, but they surely have someone who does that job, no matter what he or she might be called.

He relayed in conversation in the first person - that’s the issue - not him screwing up the title.  Had he actually spoken to this person himself, likely he would have gotten this person’s title correct.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

41 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m getting the 4z headphones because I want to know how they sound and another opinion won’t hurt this community.

Will you be examining the offer to write an article length paper on the subjects detailed in that request as well?

Doubt my rivalry with Dr. Scott is under threat of dissipating by agreeing with him.  So obvious was his statement above.  My part (if indeed I did play one) involving Audeze was aimed solely at bringing the accusation towards resolution in a straightforward manner.  

Willingness by all parties to submit to testing of the reviewed device and accept the results might still be possible here.  With the forthcoming review sample acting as control.   

This is a fascinating thread. While at least one other member disagrees, I don’t think the alleged factual misstatements are material in any regard.  To me, the review still seems competent, thoughtful, and totally legitimate. Finally, I look forward to more reviews from the reviewer!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

4 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

In the review, Sonis wrote:

“The tech director of Audeze  called a few days later and confirmed that the 4z’s were, indeed defective. He said that they would be replacing the drivers with a new, matched pair.”

in a subsequent comment he wrote:

”Nobody from Audeze called ME at anytime, they called the owner of the phones as I have mentioned before. “

Clear cut case of misrepresenting the truth to readers of AS.  It should have been stated in the review that he didn’t participate in this conversation and was only passing on what his friend shared.  

It is a clear case of ambiguity at worst.

10 hours ago, MarkS said:

I don’t think the alleged factual misstatements are material in any regard.

So the timing of publishing and unavoidable effect it produced are immaterial to your ability to digest the review.  Strictly speaking, that is a seasoned response.  It was quite clear where interests faltered and where they were piqued.

There just remains the small matter of how attentions garnered are being managed now that we've collectively lost interest in all but the factual and provable.  The bit where things were being played fast and loose as well as loud. Concluding in the official review that can't by choice include any of that nonsense.

19 hours ago, Sonis said:

Nobody from Audeze called ME at anytime, they called the owner of the phones as I have mentioned before.  He is the person who characterized the caller as “The Technical Director”.  But what’s The difference? It’s just a title. Obviously the ‘phone’s owner meant “Some technical guy who had the power and the responsibility to handle problems of this sort.”

I don’t see any reason to make a federal case out of this.

so basically you have no standards for truthful reporting...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

There seems to be a small fault in my fabric of this matrix:

I can't find the post of gmgraves (18h ago) which kennb123 is referring to ? Neither logged in nor logged out. And not on his timeline?
Explanation anyone ? Anything else missing ?
Cheers, Tom

kennyb123

18 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I don’t get it. A rose by any other name, and all that. Audeze might not have someone called a Technical Director, but they surely have someone who does that job, no matter what he or she might be called.

He relayed in conversation in the first person - that’s the issue - not him screwing up the title.  Had he actually spoken to this person himself, likely he would have gotten this person’s title correct.  

•  
wgscott reacted to this
1 minute ago, DuckToller said:

There seems to be a small fault in my fabric of this matrix:

I can't find the post of gmgraves (18h ago) which kennb123 is referring to ? Neither logged in nor logged out. And not on his timeline?
Explanation anyone ? Anything else missing ?
Cheers, Tom

kennyb123

18 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Read more  

•  
wgscott reacted to this

The content of the post was removed by the author shortly after submitting the reply. So, I deleted the empty post. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The Ferrari you tested couldn't achieve a zero to 100 time of 4.2 seconds? You clearly do not know how to drive the automobile. You wrote: 'it rode like an old truck"? It is obvious you do not know what "sports car handling" is supposed to feel like.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

1 hour ago, Sonis said:

I don’t see that it is an issue. I’ve explained that my decision to focus the side issues of the ‘phone’s review to one point (just me, rather than me and the unit’s owner) was to avoid reader confusion. That this ploy was less than successful on all fronts, and as a journalistic experiment on my part, an abject failure, is beside the point of the review. That point was that the LCD-4z headphones sounded terrible, and they sounded just as terrible when returned from Audeze’s factory with two new, matched drivers.

While I certainly won’t purposely meld multiple person’s experiences into a first person monologue again because it just doesn’t work, I take great exception to many people here, including you, accusing me of using this literary device to purposely deceive. What reason could anyone purposely have for deceiving the readership for dishonest purposes? What could those purposes conceivably be? I certainly have no Idea. The sequence of events that I relayed were certainly factual, as Audeze themselves have acknowledged. The fact that the interaction with Audeze was done by a third person in no way altered. my conclusions about the performance of the LCD-4z’s which were certainly not altered by any of these side issues. And the confusion about the title of the technical person who handled the owner’s complaint about his ‘phones is, in the final analysis, a tempest in a teapot for which I have apologized.

Finally, hate the messenger if you must, not the message! Caveat Emptor!

Reminds me of the Steve Jobs movie. Aaron Sorkin melded Steve’s entire life into his presentation of products. I don’t think anyone is telling Sorkin to take a hike because all the events didn’t actually happen surrounding these presentations. 

It’s called creative license. Doesn’t mean making things up, rather making things easier to comprehend or digest for the reader/viewer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png