IGNORED

Home Mesh Wi-Fi System - anyone using one?

semente

Question

Hi,

Is anyone using a home mesh wi-fi system like the Tenda Nova MW3?

Does it work as intended?

I wish to use a small outhouse as an office and place my music NAS in there too. It's about 9m away from the router.

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 answers to this question

I almost bought one from Amazon when they went on sale a month or two ago.  I decided it wasn't worth the trouble.  I just saw they are on sale again, and they seemed like the best option when I was looking into it  Link

I, too, have an "office out-house", but decided the best way to deal with that was to run a wired connection from my Apple router to it, and install a high-speed switch in the office.  This involved putting a wire under the house and then through a PVC pipe in the ground.

I've got a second Apple airport extreme that I can put in bridge mode, which will give me a pseudo-mesh, but so far have been too lazy to pull more wire.

I have been using Google Wifi which is mesh-based and it works well. I have three of the units - one (router) on the 2nd floor and two on the 1st floor of my house.

The associated app is useful in that you can test the mesh to make sure the connection between the three units is good.

For two of the units, I have Ethernet cables connected that in turn connect to switches so if you don't want to use wifi, you can connect via Ethernet.

12 hours ago, wgscott said:

I, too, have an "office out-house", but decided the best way to deal with that was to run a wired connection from my Apple router to it, and install a high-speed switch in the office.  This involved putting a wire under the house and then through a PVC pipe in the ground.

Yes, this is technically the best and secure method. 

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

The best wireless means one needs to keep the system updated, when flaws etc. are found. Same with wired routers. People think they are plug and play but maintenance is a constant thing to do with them.

Just like your computer, update, update, update.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, botrytis said:

The best wireless means one needs to keep the system updated, when flaws etc. are found. Same with wired routers. People think they are plug and play but maintenance is a constant thing to do with them.

Just like your computer, update, update, update.

I use Google Mesh. This does come with privacy issues, but at least Google pushes updates instead of relying on the user to pull them. I would prefer to see all routers do this.

1 hour ago, Daccord said:

I use Google Mesh. This does come with privacy issues, but at least Google pushes updates instead of relying on the user to pull them. I would prefer to see all routers do this.

Google uses the Intel chipset which has known issues. I prefer tested than just pushed out.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Running a wire wasn't practical as this is a rented house and I'd have to do quite a bit of ilegal drilling...

I ended up buying the mesh stuff and it works as promised.

Thanks for the contributions.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

had a real problem in my medical office with sooo slow wifi to my private office my it/insurance person got google mesh in my room the nurse's room and WOW===incredible speed and connectivity might work well with sound system

i use 2TB airport extreme time capsule for home wifi it is excellent(if you can find them somewhere) sends connectivity to ALL parts of my 1906 3 story home--i read somewhere you can daisy chain these also to extend service area-saw them(brand new ones so to speak)for sale in apple authorized repair shop in new hartford ny--computer point--check out similar shop near you