IGNORED

Upgrade...

porto

Question

Hi!

I listen to music with a pair of cans from Beyerdynamic  (DT Pro 1990) and a DAP from Cowon  - the Plenue D2.  It is an approximately 1000 EUR/USD combo.

However, perhaps due to the high impedance from the headphones (250 ohms ), the sound does not reach the levels I want nor the “transparency” for some types of music are not as clear as others.…

So, my question, do you guys think I could somehow “connect”  my Cowon DAP with an amp so I could upgrade sound quality? My DAP only has the 3.5 and 2.5mm (baslanced) outputs as well the main entrance for charging (that ends with USB type)

Your thougths / ideas would be very much appreciated ;)

6 answers to this question

I am mystified by your complaint of insufficient volume, porto. I normally drive the DT 1990's with my Asgard 2 amp on the "low-gain" setting. My Korg DAC/amp only delivers 85mW per channel @32 ohms, the Plenue D2 spec says 2V output, no impedance specified. These specs are not directly comparable, but clearly the D2 is more powerful by a good margin. Even my Galaxy A5 mobile phone can deliver uncomfortably high volume levels through the DT 1990. The D2 pecs show it should have no trouble driving your headphones, given a normal level input. Are you using any software level controls?

Is it possible you are using the wrong setting?

A Sony ZX300 is about as powerful as an iPhone SE. The Plenue D2 is at least +6dB more powerful than that, single ended. And the AK380 isn’t noticeably or measurably more powerful. That’s serious power. If you find that you need more power, you might have the Headphone setting off. Engaged, the D2 slams like Mjolnir.

https://headfonics.com/2019/06/cowon-plenue-d2-review/

If none of the above, possibly your DAP is defective? The reviews I've read do not mention a lack of transparency or power, and I have never heard anyone describe the DT 1990 as lacking transparency. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Hi Porto,

It's kind of sad to read that you've didn't meet your objectives with your 1k investment. Imho, @audiobomber 's reply should give you the correct direction for finding the problem. If your units are technically approved to be flawless, and you may have verified your HP with another source to be somewhere near your desired sound signature, you could get for 99$ the excellent and transparent JDSLabs Atom HP amp, which has 3.5mm inputs and drives with ease 300Ohm cans.

Cheers , Tom

On 9/4/2019 at 8:15 PM, audiobomber said:

I am mystified by your complaint of insufficient volume, porto. I normally drive the DT 1990's with my Asgard 2 amp on the "low-gain" setting. My Korg DAC/amp only delivers 85mW per channel @32 ohms, the Plenue D2 spec says 2V output, no impedance specified. These specs are not directly comparable, but clearly the D2 is more powerful by a good margin. Even my Galaxy A5 mobile phone can deliver uncomfortably high volume levels through the DT 1990. The D2 pecs show it should have no trouble driving your headphones, given a normal level input. Are you using any software level controls?

Is it possible you are using the wrong setting?

A Sony ZX300 is about as powerful as an iPhone SE. The Plenue D2 is at least +6dB more powerful than that, single ended. And the AK380 isn’t noticeably or measurably more powerful. That’s serious power. If you find that you need more power, you might have the Headphone setting off. Engaged, the D2 slams like Mjolnir.

If none of the above, possibly your DAP is defective? The reviews I've read do not mention a lack of transparency or power, and I have never heard anyone describe the DT 1990 as lacking transparency. 

Hi,

Thank you for your opinion. I have been abroad for several weeks and only had time to reply today.  

I had the opportunity to listen for long periods between my work travels and I am almost positive that an amp is needed. 

I can even say the volume I get when connected from my Samsung Note 9 seems more louder in some files than on the COwon. Obiously the quality from the Cowon is much much more superior.

250Ohms are very high impedance and a 300usd DAP can not produce miracles IMO...so I think the problem is really the need of good  amp.

My question to you:

Once the my COWON player has already  dual DACs, do you think I should only be looking for an amp that doesn't have DACs also. I mean will the fact of both equipments have DACs interefere or even damage the dirivers from the headphones???

Thank you for your help!

1 hour ago, porto said:

Once the my COWON player has already  dual DACs, do you think I should only be looking for an amp that doesn't have DACs also. I mean will the fact of both equipments have DACs interefere or even damage the dirivers from the headphones???

You cannot to run through two DAC's. From the specs, it appears you cannot bypass the Cowon's internal DAC or headphone amp. A more powerful amp will make the sound louder, but will not necessarily improve the quality of the sound. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

6 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Per my memory from several years ago, if your Cowon is set up to use in an EU country, the output is limited by EU law 😧

Set it up for a non-EU country to gain (s’cuse the pun) the unit’s full output.

Worth investigating, because the Cowon should be capable of powering these headphones to painful levels. There's also this, which Porto did not comment on:

If you find that you need more power, you might have the Headphone setting off. Engaged, the D2 slams like Mjolnir.