IGNORED

Editing metadata

aking

Question

Hello,

My workflow is: (1) Download music files from Qobuz, (2) copy files into iTunes library on NAS,  (3) edit metadata, (4) copy files from iTunes library to HDD on Aurender N10.

Is there an easier way of doing this that avoids using iTunes?

Thanks

Andrew K

8 answers to this question

I don't use i-tunes but here is my regime which is dependent on FLAC format downloads and which may offer you some help:

1. Download from Qobuz in TAR folder to Win 10 computer.

2. Extract files from TAR folder

3. Highlight and open files then right click to Edit ID-Tag.

4. Edit as required. NB: I rarely find this necessary. The only common metadata  item for potential editing that I find is that for genre Qobuz uses Classique not Classic. However  I find this too insignificant to change.

5. Copy to my Melco Music Library and backups.

So editing is all done on the computer before transferring to any libraries. Incidentally you may need to have an edit ID3 facility on the computer. It appears that as I use dbpoweramp for ripping  it is pulled from that. When trying this on  another computer which does not have dbpoweramp installed I am not offered the "edit ID-tag" option. However I am sure that there is ID3 editing software available  .

34 minutes ago, PAR said:

I don't use i-tunes but here is my regime which is dependent on FLAC format downloads and which may offer you some help:

1. Download from Qobuz in TAR folder to Win 10 computer.

2. Extract files from TAR folder

3. Highlight and open files then right click to Edit ID-Tag.

4. Edit as required. NB: I rarely find this necessary. The only common metadata  item for potential editing that I find is that for genre Qobuz uses Classique not Classic. However  I find this too insignificant to change.

5. Copy to my Melco Music Library and backups.

So editing is all done on the computer before transferring to any libraries. Incidentally you may need to have an edit ID3 facility on the computer. It appears that as I use dbpoweramp for ripping  it is pulled from that. When trying this on  another computer which does not have dbpoweramp installed I am not offered the "edit ID-tag" option. However I am sure that there is ID3 editing software available  .

Thanks PAR. Edit ID-Tag is the sort of process I'm looking for. I just tried right clicking a music file on my MBP and I get a Mac menu which doesn't seem to include editing metadata. But I'm going investigate whether this would be possible on a Mac with the right software. I always correct Classique to Classic otherwise the files will appear in a different genre in Conductor. I also change the album title to keep the files in some logical order. Thanks again.

Problem is there is no metadata standard so it may be different from program to program.

Example, I have the Beatles USB Apple. The Rubber Soul LP (neither the MP3 or the 44.1/24 versions) is not detected by any software I use, Daphile, JRiver, Foobar, etc. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, PAR said:

That is a problem for acquiring metadata but this is about editing metadata.  By editing the metatada it can be made uniform.

It is still not standard. Different programs look at it differently.

I have used Musicbrainz w/o any luck. Not going to edit each one individually - that would take more time than I have to live.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects