Cor van Zundert

ZEN mini MKIII Performs worse on version 1.4.3

Rate this topic

Dear music fans,

I was impressed by the beautiful musical performance of the Innuos ZEN mini MKIII and bought it after a listening test.

After upgrading the player from version 1.4.2 to 1.4.3 the musicality was gone as I am now missing the air around instruments.

I contacted the manufacterer and was informed that there is no fallback to version 1.4.2.

I am using AC and DC power cables from Audiomaat in the Netherlands, which bring optimal musicality to your equipment.

·         Use a good power supply, not an Innuos but a Keces P8 single instead;

·      Use a good DC cable, for instance an Audiomaat 3DW USB/Power cable;

·         ·      Use a good AC power cable, for instance an Audiomaat 3DW AC powercord.

Has anyone the same experience with this update ??

Cor van Zundert
Leader of Audioclub Oost Brabant's demo commission.

I have seen only a couple of reports about 1.4.3 - but they’ve been positive.  Here’s one that’s very positive:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/a-new-star-in-2019-innuos-statement-server.27184/page-15#post-592784

In my case I thought it might have been an improvement - or maybe not - but most certainly it didn’t make things worse in any way.  I run Roon Experimental mode, which leverages their internal player, so I think I was impacted by 1.4.3.  I don’t believe I would have been had I been running regular Roon Core mode.  Which mode are you using?

Digital:  Innuos Zenith Std Mk2 > Shunyata Alpha USB > Chord Hugo M-Scaler > Shunyata Alpha S/PDIF > Chord Hugo TT2 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha power cords, Shunyata Anaconda interconnect, MIT Oracle speaker cables, GIK bass traps

I recently upgraded my Statement to rev 1.4.3 and one the improvements is the cohesiveness of the soundstage. Instead of separate air around instruments, what you get is a complete room filling atmosphere with acoustic ‘texture’, assuming that’s what’s on the recording. In other words, the air around instruments in now fully resolved into the air of the entire soundstage. Its as if before you got the soundstage in pieces and now you get the whole, fully resolved. Try a recording like Jan Garbarek’s Legend of the Seven Dreams to hear what i’m talking about. I felt the upgrade in sound quality was ‘significant’ in that it sounds even more natural, refined and involving

I have the Zen Mini with the 1.4.3 version. Since I have never heard the 1.4.2 version I have no basis for comparison. However, once the Mini was fully broken in, it now sounds more like what Blackmorec describes in the Statement. Now, I know the two units don't sound remotely alike, but there may be a Innuos house sound. The sound stage is high, wide and deep with the sensation of air thru everything. I know what air around instruments sounds like, and this ain't it. With the noise floor being so low, new music way in the back of the mix is just there.  Cor van Zundert, I hope there is some way to get that sound back into you're system. 

Hi Cor, hope this is only temporary. What is Wim's opinion?

Kii Three / Kii Control / Uptone Iso Regen LPS 1.2 / Ultrarendu with LPS 1.2 / FMC LPS1.2 / Roon Rock

Ok, maybee you have to listen a few days longer and getting used to the sound (changes).

Kii Three / Kii Control / Uptone Iso Regen LPS 1.2 / Ultrarendu with LPS 1.2 / FMC LPS1.2 / Roon Rock