IGNORED

New Box Set For SERIOUS Pink Floyd Fans

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would stop dicking around and just release the whole damn catalog in REAL Hi-Rez formats for direct download via the usual suspects. This physical DVD/BlueRay media only crap is tiresome.

I've got the immersion box set that I had to spend an entire SAT extracting just to get to the good stuff. It sounds great but why make it so difficult. I'm still waiting for a High-Rez version of "The Wall" but suspect I'll be 6ft deep before it comes to fruition. I'm a huge fan of the Delicate Sound of Thunder album they speak of which is currently only available in Redbook. If they can make it better via a High-Rez version I'll be the first in line. Perhaps this is why The Wall remains a RedBook only affair (as far as I know).

Just give me what I want and charge me whatever it takes to make it happen, its that simple Floyd!

On 9/10/2019 at 11:05 PM, TubeLover said:

Is the Discovery remastered cd box set worth buying?

JC

I've not heard it but I guess if you don't already have most of the included disks in original form then its probably worth it. I've got basically every one of their albums that I'm aware of in original form and the original Redbooks are pretty hard to beat if they are just that, the originals or a pressing close to that.

I did buy the Immersion Box only because I was curious and had not owned the Redbook version of that Album yet. Its damn good in HiRez but I would be hard pressed to find a better version of DSOTM then I have now which is the MFSL version in RedBook which is why I have not splurged on the HiRez boxset of that one.

If it were me and I had about $150 cash in hand I would rather open a Discogs account and look for one of the older RedBooks copies of anything you don't already own.

In all honestly, I think the original RedBook (pre-remaster) version of "The Wall" sounds a good clip better than the newer remaster does. The fist few tracks on that Album convinced me like when the plane comes crashing down hearing the crazy Red Baron pilot off i the distance laughing as he comes in for the dive bomb. Much more bass impact and rumble there then the remaster. Another Brick in the Wall is another one with the Kids on the Playground. I think they sound clearer on the original version. Comfortably Numb again better.

Just my 2cents of course

57 minutes ago, cjf said:

I've not heard it but I guess if you don't already have most of the included disks in original form then its probably worth it. I've got basically every one of their albums that I'm aware of in original form and the original Redbooks are pretty hard to beat if they are just that, the originals or a pressing close to that.

I did buy the Immersion Box only because I was curious and had not owned the Redbook version of that Album yet. Its damn good in HiRez but I would be hard pressed to find a better version of DSOTM then I have now which is the MFSL version in RedBook which is why I have not splurged on the HiRez boxset of that one.

If it were me and I had about $150 cash in hand I would rather open a Discogs account and look for one of the older RedBooks copies of anything you don't already own.

In all honestly, I think the original RedBook (pre-remaster) version of "The Wall" sounds a good clip better than the newer remaster does. The fist few tracks on that Album convinced me like when the plane comes crashing down hearing the crazy Red Baron pilot off i the distance laughing as he comes in for the dive bomb. Much more bass impact and rumble there then the remaster. Another Brick in the Wall is another one with the Kids on the Playground. I think they sound clearer on the original version. Comfortably Numb again better.

Just my 2cents of course

My cd versions are from the old, limited edition,  Pink Floyd boxed set originally released in 1992,  Shine On.

JC

• 7 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 12:17 AM, TubeLover said:

My cd versions are from the old, limited edition,  Pink Floyd boxed set originally released in 1992,  Shine On.

JC

Can anyone tell me how the versions that I have from the Shine On box set compare to The Early Years box set. I missed out on that when it was released (not realizing it was limited) and it costs a fortune now, 

JC