IGNORED

Audirvana Hegel Rost Downsampling

Hi,

I started ripping cd's to FLAC. When I play through iMac internal speakers they play at 24 bit 96khz. When playing through Rost they downsample to 16/48.

I was using the Schiit Eitr and coaxial connections but read in the Rost manual it can play 24 bit via USB, but no change....

Music is ripped at high quality so it's not the files. Schiit Eitr doens't seem to effect nor the connections; coaxial or USB.....

Any clues as to why this would be?

Thanks,

R44

11 hours ago, Rounder44 said:

Hi,

I started ripping cd's to FLAC. When I play through iMac internal speakers they play at 24 bit 96khz. When playing through Rost they downsample to 16/48.

I was using the Schiit Eitr and coaxial connections but read in the Rost manual it can play 24 bit via USB, but no change....

Music is ripped at high quality so it's not the files. Schiit Eitr doens't seem to effect nor the connections; coaxial or USB.....

Any clues as to why this would be?

Thanks,

R44

you need to look at your settings.  when you rip cds, you're ripping to 16/44, so if you're getting anything besides 16/44 then your software is doing it.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
4 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

you need to look at your settings.  when you rip cds, you're ripping to 16/44, so if you're getting anything besides 16/44 then your software is doing it.

Shoot!

You're right! I noticed in Audirvana it does say 16/44 in the track listings! I swear I saw the setting for some at 24/96 but have not fooled with the settings....

I'm using dBpoweramp at FLAC lossless uncompressed.... I can't find a setting to see bit rate and khz in dBpoweramp.....

I'm ripping through a an Apple Super Drive which I was informed I cant really do much better than.... but I'm skeptical...

Is it possible for me to rip 24/96 from an Apple Super DRive to a 2017 27" iMac via dBpoweramp and play via Audirvana into mt Hegle Rost? Seems I should be able to....

Since Rost says 24 bit via USB does that mean I should toss the Shiit Eitr or does it make sense to go coax to USB?

Oddly as I get older my hearing is more acute. May be because I'm playing an instrument as listening more intently quite often but noticing a slight fuzz on treble on some cuts. Could be the particular cd's I'm ripping (almost certain this is as it's not universal!). Some worse than others like the JJ Cale Anthology just has all kinds of noise!

...sigh....

Thanks for any help to straighten this out!

settings.jpg

12 minutes ago, Rounder44 said:

Is it possible for me to rip 24/96 from an Apple Super DRive to a 2017 27" iMac via dBpoweramp and play via Audirvana into mt Hegle Rost? Seems I should be able to....

Since Rost says 24 bit via USB does that mean I should toss the Shiit Eitr or does it make sense to go coax to USB?

since cds are ripped to 16/44, a lot of folks here will upsample to the highest bitrate their dacs can handle at the time of playback.  this upsampled file isn't saved.  this is something audirvana can do -- again, check out the settings.

dacs can typically handle 24 bit files via any input -- they max out on the sample rate.  for instance, via coax most dacs max out at 24/192.  via usb, it is common to go higher than that.

your eitr was designed to clean up the usb output from your computer and convert it to a clean input to your coax, so it's value is dependent on the quality of the usb input on the rost.  you'll have to decide on that one by listening!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100