IGNORED

focal power bird , should I remove the mesh grill on the air hole ?

last week I found a focal XS 2.1 on sale for 100$ !! So I bought one , the next week I go to the same store I found a pair of focal bird 5.5” with the power bird pack for 300$ !! So I had to buy them too  , both were brand new and  factory sealed, and the seller is reputable 

I am very happy with the power bird performance as a subwoofer , only one issue , sometimes when i am sitting close and I play music with heavy loud  lows and very slight mids and highs  I can hear the air puffing out  from the grill in front of  the air hole , and if I increase the sub gain too much I can hear it causing some turbulence, as if the grill is resisting the air flow too much, and I know the subwoofer does look very small but it does blow a big amount of  air you can even feel it intensely from 1 feet away 

the grill removal doesn’t seem like a reversable procedure there are no visible clips  , and I am afraid if I remove it I may mess up its performance , the engineers at focal must have put there for good reason other than cosmetic ones 

what do you think ?

AF2CD7EE-2701-438D-BA35-0E54C8766E2F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that you will achieve anything by that.  What you are describing is called port chuffing, and it's usually a design issue, inherent in the product.  Becoming worse with level is letting you know you have exceeded the SPL output capability of the sub.

Brad 

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands we import to the US are ATC, Tube Tech, Drawmer, MUTEC, Bettermaker 

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave   

On 9/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, Lone Mountain Audio said:

I don't think that you will achieve anything by that.  What you are describing is called port chuffing, and it's usually a design issue, inherent in the product.  Becoming worse with level is letting you know you have exceeded the SPL output capability of the sub.

Brad 

But the noise doesn't sound the same as the chuffing noise other monitors I have produce through the air port when I push them above their limits , it sounds more like  when you cover out the an air outlet of a fan 

• 6 months later...

DIfferent frequency produces different port noises.  It could be a vibration issue of something else, but I would guess its not the screen.  Maybe?

Brad 

Brad Lunde

www.LoneMountainAudio.com (High End Consumer Importer to the Trade) and www.TransAudioGroup.com (High End Pro Audio Importer to the Trade)

Brands we import to the US are ATC, Tube Tech, Drawmer, MUTEC, Bettermaker 

Brands from the US we distribute are A Designs, Auratone, Daking, LatchLake and Mojave