IGNORED

Which sample and bitrate should I select? Image attached for reference.

2 hours ago, esldude said:

My initial thought is 192/24, but I'm hazy on how Win 7 does all this now.  I think it will internally resample anything not in the sample rate you select to that sample rate, and do a poor job of it.   So if all your FLACs were from CD, I'd select 44/16 so no resampling is done.  If they are in another sample rate then select that.  

I'm also not up to date on whether or not there is a Topping D50 driver file for Win7 which might bypass all of this.  If there is use it, and the Topping should get the data rate the file is in.  

There is a driver file if you haven't installed it. 

http://www.tpdz.net/wdzn_detail/newsId=80.html

I am using JRiver music player just so you know. ☺️ Most my flac files are 24/196 and 24/192. 

These OS setting is used on “shared mode audio session” such as You Tube, Spotify, Skype etc. It is not used on “exclusive mode audio session”, apps (not OS) can change DAC sample format, as Mr. Rubinson said.

16bit settings:

• Limiter is applied when mixed signal magnitude exceeds 98.5 %.
  • Dither is applied (16bit 2 LSB TPDF dither, even when input data is 16bit full scale signal and dither is not necessary) and 24bit PCM is truncated to 16bit.

24bit settings:

• Limiter is applied when mixed signal magnitude exceeds 98.5 %.
  • Dither is not applied.

So 24bit settings output signal is slightly more cleaner than 16bit. And 24bit is recommended even when playing 16bit PCM.

I recommend 24bit 48000 Hz for You Tube watching, 24bit 44100 Hz for local music file playback.

----

If app uses Windows Audio Session API directly to play sound using shared mode audio, Surprisingly Window Audio Engine does not provide automatic resampling feature: resampling to shared mode sample rate should be performed by app.

If app uses Media Foundation API to play shared mode audio, OS automatically resamples to target rate using Media Foundation resampler with quality=30. its conversion quality is reasonable (not best) and it is sharp roll-off linear phase.

If app uses DirectSound API to play shared mode audio, OS uses slow roll-off linear phase resampler (conversion quality is lower than Media Foundation resampler, I think this is to improve throughput, reduce delay for better user experience of game sound effect).

If app uses MM API to play shared mode audio, OS uses sharp roll-off linear phase resampler, and its conversion quality improvement patch is released on 2013 or 2015 ? I don't remember

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

6 hours ago, PAR said:

Just to clarify your excellent point for the OP,  he needs to select the correct audio device settings in JRiver. Ctrl O/audio/audio device then check the appropriate setting offered for his DAC's driver using WASAPI or ASIO.  If he selects Direct Sound then that will still use the Windows upsampler which ideally he should avoid.

Yes.  The driver provided is a standard Thesycon driver.

mQa is dead!

The Thesycon driver is  USB audio class 2. Class 2 is necessary to play bit rates over 24/96. It is also ASIO compliant . So, if you follow the path in my earlier posting, JRiver should ( I hope) offer you a menu with a choice of audio devices, one of which may be called something like " Thesycon ASIO"  so check that one. There may be other options like Thesycon WASAPI, Thesycon WASAPI Exclusive  and the default Direct Sound of course.  You could also try the WASAPI options  and see what sounds best to you. Note that these options can spread onto a second page of the menu  i.e. " Show More".