IGNORED

Article: Subjective: AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt Review

24 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Thanks, Chris.  The original DragonFly was my entry to computer audio, so I have a very soft spot for them.  

Curious--what Custom IEMs were stolen?  I am getting close to biting the bullet, so I'd appreciate your recommendation.

I had a pair of JH Audio JH13 IEMs. Loved them. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, left channel said:

> I won't even go into detail about using the Pixel because audio on Android is still a joke and a kludge. 

@The Computer Audiophile adding the UAPP app is not much of a kludge to me. It sends bit perfect output to external USB DACs, and is a great all-around music player serving up local files, UPnP/DLNA files, Qobuz, Tidal (with an optional MQA add-on), Google Music, internet radio, and more. Having said that, on long trips I usually carry a separate DAP too, a FiiO X5III, also running UAPP.

I use that app, as it’s a must on Android. However, an absolute requirement for me is offline music. The app can’t do it. Also the whole volume control thing is a mess with that app and the DragonFly. The Qobuz interface isn’t nearly as good through that app. 

On iOS everything works perfect with the native Qobuz app. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, lucretius said:

If by off-line, you mean music files on your phone, then UAPP will play those. OTH, perhaps you mean images saved from a streaming service?

I use the DF Red and UAPP with a Samsung Galaxy S10.  The volume control works fine for me. Although, when there is a complete update of the Android OS, I sometimes run into problems with volume control and have to uninstall and reinstall UAPP. and reset one of the volume settings in Android.

Offline = Qobuz albums I’ve downloaded but not purchased. 

26 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Chris notes the sound difference between the Cobalt and Red DF is a "touch of bloom".  What is that?

From - http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/bbs/stereophile_audio-glossary.html

bloom A quality of expansive richness and warmth, like the live body sound of a cello.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Graham Luke said:

It's interesting to find that many reviewers who are not so hung up on the objective side of testing are thoroughly recommending the Cobalt. And they're not all Audioquest 'shills' either....

That’s the beauty of multiple reviews from people with wide ranging opinions. No company can please everyone all the time. 

Many reviewers who ignore objective information also thoroughly recommend MQA. But that’s another story. 

I only have the subjective tools attached to my head ( 👂) with which to conduct reviews.