mansr

Article: Objective: AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt Review

Rate this topic

Excellent review. 

Makes me think this isn't better than many phone outputs, not much better than many onboard soundcards, and too expensive for the performance on offer. 

My favorite graph is the MQA sine wave.  :)

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

5 hours ago, audiobomber said:

My Da2 was a nice little DAC for as long as it lasted, which was just barely beyond the warranty period. I replaced it with an ExtremPro X1, which my laptop sometimes calls a Dragonfly Black 1.2. I don't know whether the X1 or Da2 sounds better  because I never had both together, but given the price difference, I would not recommend Sabaj.

https://www.amazon.com/XtremPro-X1-1-Performance-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07P6SYQG9

I love the price of the X1!

Thanks for the terrific write up, a great companion piece to Chris's.  But let's not forget that the DragonFly costs less than rounding error or sales tax on a typical audiophile DAC--we need to keep that in mind for objective reviews.  The real question is does it give us a couple of hundred bucks benefit vs a Mac or iPhone

With the Audioquest DACs out of the picture, one wonders where to turn for a DAC to attach to an iOS device to listen to Roon. I bought an SMSL Idea DAC for this purpose, and it sounds great, but I can seldom get it to work with Roon. It’s mostly silence or clicking. It works fine with all other apps, but Roon works in a different way. When I do get it to work Roon can send it audio up to 768Khz, but that is one time in a hundred.

Does anyone know of a DAC that will work with iOS and Roon for headphone listening?

Great work here mansr, keep it coming!  ;)

On 8/30/2019 at 3:52 PM, esldude said:

My favorite graph is the MQA sine wave. 

Ya mean it's not supposed to be all squiggly like that?  LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

no-mqa-sm.jpg

On 9/1/2019 at 9:49 PM, SMG said:

With the Audioquest DACs out of the picture, one wonders where to turn for a DAC to attach to an iOS device to listen to Roon. I bought an SMSL Idea DAC for this purpose, and it sounds great, but I can seldom get it to work with Roon. It’s mostly silence or clicking. It works fine with all other apps, but Roon works in a different way. When I do get it to work Roon can send it audio up to 768Khz, but that is one time in a hundred.

Does anyone know of a DAC that will work with iOS and Roon for headphone listening?

Chord Mojo. But that is barely mobile device. 

18 hours ago, Graham Luke said:

....or you could ignore all these graphs and learned pronouncements and try one for yourself.

Loads of people have and they love them. 

I did that. Picked one up at RMAF last week. I only had the Black, so I don’t know how the Cobalt compares with the Red. But I couldn’t be happier with the Cobalt!

SonicTransporter > UltraRendu > Ayre QX-5 Twenty > Ayre KX-R Twenty > Ayre MX-R Twenty > YG Kipod II Signature Passive