IGNORED

Article: Objective: AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt Review

22 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Looking at the frequency response curves for 44.1 and 96kHz, at 20Hz, the first one is down about -5.5 dB, whereas the second one is down about -0.4 dB.  (Let's assume the youthful audiophile listener hears music at 20Hz, for simplicity).  Would this DAC therefore give the impression that it could resolve details from a 24/96kHz recording that it would be able to for a 16/44.1 recording?

Did you mean unable? It's a possibility, though I haven't personally tested it, and I can't hear anything above about 16 kHz anyway.

8 hours ago, jzahr said:

My question is: is this device an improvement over the typical integrated audio output of a laptop (regarding measurements)?

Is there any objective reason to use the DF cobalt with a MacBook Pro or some decent android phone already equipped with analog outs?

The noise level is a little lower than many other devices, though most are already well below what's audible. If you have high impedance, low efficiency headphones you may need the higher than average voltage delivered by the Red/Cobalt, at least if you like to play loud. With a headphone impedance below about 40 Ω, the Black actually delivers higher power. The distortion is somewhat worse than average for half-way decent devices, though again not bad enough to be audible, at least not with normal music. I could not in good conscience advise anyone to buy the Cobalt.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Graham Luke said:

Then, I think you would be mistaken. The Black is significantly better than my PC sound-card; indeed to describe the difference as 'night and day' would be understatement.

Further, placing a Red between my iPhone and my desktop headphone amp produces a considerable increase in resolution, transparency, soundstage and PRAT. 

These inexpensive products render exponential improvements to SQ.

You seem to be commenting on the wrong article.