IGNORED

Request for new Forum - Vinyl

Yep, seems an obvious addition to an audiophile site run as a business, both on content and traffic grounds.

Perhaps though broaden out to “Vinyl & Analogue Sources” to include those who really do want to discuss  tape, wax and power supplies.

Looking forward to the inevitable “What  is the most digital sounding turntable” thread, but maybe not as a troll this time....

8 hours ago, robocop said:

Gosh some are obviously bored with computer audio

Well now we know that all DACs sound the same, bits are bits as far as sources are concerned and HiRes is unnecessary when we have RBCD, there’s not much digital left to talk about anymore.  Analogue on the other hand...

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'd have a hard time creating a vinyl sub-forum

The only rational reason for not creating a “vinyl” forum would be that it wouldn’t get that many posts on this site.  That may prove to be the case, although I can easily imagine it equalling the post count of the “DSP” forum for example.  

However, not doing something simply because you’d “have a hard time” (from whom?) is a poor rationale in any setting and in this case  poor from both inclusive  content and business perspectives.   Looking around the dealers, stock suggests that a reasonable  and increasing share of audiophile spend has been going into vinyl recently, it’s not just cheap usb turntables for school kids and LPs as hipster wall art.  There may thus also  be advertising and sponsorship opportunities.

My suggestion - trial a “Vinyl and Analogue sources” sub-forum, perhaps inviting a credible and knowledgeable figure as “guest moderator” and see how it goes.

Nothing to do with vinyl per se and I haven’t actually done the sums, but it looks to me that, within the Equipment section, the General forum (even minus all MQA threads...) is around the size of all the other forums put together by post count, suggesting that the current structure isn’t that good a match for what people want to post about.