IGNORED

Request for new Forum - Vinyl

4 hours ago, Norton said:

Very on trend. We will be expecting pics of your Nakamichi Dragon in the new forum (unless, of course,  you were not being entirely serious...)

I always wanted one - and wanted the 1000 before that, but went thru the 550 portable, some others and wound up with a 680zx which I still have.  I 'need' to get it working but life intervenes.  I have a half dozen tapes not available on digital I'd like to do needle drops on.

Unh... I mean tape to head presses, not needle drops.

pick a Rega or VPi in your price range - if not the best performance/$$ then they will be very close

if you play music loud, or have wood floors, then sand box it, but BEST is to put it in a different room or rip at low SPL

a cover on while playing helps

high quality phono stage (Audio Research - used) and everything else...

DONE

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

I was state of the art in the day with a Kenwood direct drive base, Aluminum Infinity Black Widow tone arm Stanton 681EEE made in New York. Then a Technics SL-1200 so the kids could use it. 

So spare me I was around James Russell who understood the limitations of the LP in the sixties. And did something about it.

well, crap!   I only had a Stanton 681EE.

You're an E up on me

46 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

You are overlooking the point of missing DolbyA decoding on digital material (I might be misinterpreting that you arent).   I can give 100's of examples (literally) that are still DolbyA encoded.  Even without the original master tapes, I can do an incredibly plausible job of producing the orignal vinyl quality (minus the vinyl distortion.)

It is CORRECT playback that a lot of material from the 1960's through the 1980's show excess HF compression and/or at least a slightly shrill sound (because of the compression, subsequent EQ to correct.)

Sure, there are lots of people who are used to 'shrill' -- because almost every normal digital release of 1960s through 1980's material is so distorted (please refer to the historical complaints of 'harsh digital sound', and 'poor stereo image'):  Answer DolbyA decode the darned material.

I am amazed that it has taken 30yrs to figure it out (I had determined the solution in about 2012.)

John

John, if you have a list readily available, it would be a great OP on a new thread...