IGNORED

Developing your Audiophile Style

20 hours ago, wgscott said:

(9) Pretend that 256kbps AAC (or mp3) is unlistenably bad...and the incineration of the Amazon rain forest.

I don't feel so ashamed now to admit that I [gulp] I am on Spotify and cancelled my Tidal.  Okay, I feel so much better now.

(As for the Amazon, you would think the world would have more of a sense of urgency.  Knocking out one of the worlds largest C02 scrubbers is not good!)

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Developing your audiophile style really means deciding upon a search path thru the "n-dimensional hyper-volume"* of the "factor space" of ways to improve SQ.

There are many ways to navigate the large number of things that might improve SQ.  One tortuous path is this:

A. Lacking a basic education in acoustics, electronics, or cognitive psychology, the audiophile can easily become a victim of the "Everything Matters" shibboleth.  But not everything does matter (e.g. distortions that are 140 dB below the signal do not matter), nor do all factors matter as much as other things.  The uneducated are doomed to wander thru a miasmic fog of changes, leaking dollars bills all the item.  Worse, the "Audiophile Ecosystem"^ is infested with parasites, who will actively seek to mis-lead the consumer in order to gain his $$.

B. An Adroit Audiophile will conclude that some things matter a lot (recording, mastering, acoustics), while others matter very little (AC power cords).  There is another gradient too, and that is the cost of a putative upgrade, which must be weighed against the likely increase in SQ of its implementation.

But even for the consumer in bin "B" it can be troublesome to navigate the space defined by the large number of possible changes to make as upgrades.   

* to steal a phrase from G. Evelyn Hutchinson

^ to steal a phrase at least one MQA Shill

30 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Developing your audiophile style really means deciding upon a search path thru the "n-dimensional hyper-volume"* of the "factor space" of ways to improve SQ.

The only sure method is to devise a space-filling curve through the factor space and traverse it.

4 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Promising, but I didn't see any of Zachs search path tortuosity of search path work in there - he worked on ovenbirds but they have already figured out what AI systems should be doing now..

How do they relate to the Yardbirds and this timeline.

67a87e7d0717a898d849f18e3e324925.png

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

not really

the trick is that they walk or hop along in a more or less straight line, but when they find a prey item (bug) they turn - this tends to keep them in the same area; bunch of math with it but after 45 years I don't recall it

it reminds me of the frontier in some AI course I looked at at Stanford a few years ago

so, when you find something that increases SQ, stay in that "area"

Does McIntosh equipment and an aged whiskey make me appropriately stylish enough for audiophilia? 

It could be argued the simplicity of the single box solution (almost) makes me more stylish than the one box per function set.

I also have some pretty damned stylish speakers if I may say so...

No electron left behind.

12 hours ago, wgscott said:

They tend to scratch around on the forest floor a lot.

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/video/ovenbird-seiurus-aurocapilla/searching-through-leaf-litter

I prefer this.....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

14 hours ago, emcdade said:

11.  Sell all of your overpriced gear, buy a $1,000 used system and become an objectivist.  Tirelessly enter every thread and present your argument that all DACs, preamps, amps, cables, CD players, and PC's sound exactly the same when listened to in a double blind listening test.  Don't listen to actual music anymore, because tests and SINAD graphs are more interesting to you now.  You are very wise and objective, and anyone who disagrees is simply affected by sighted bias and a foolish audiophile.  Your Yamaha AVR sounds exactly like a Dan D'Agostino Relentless monoblock, and that is pretty cool.

so much anger!

So objectives don't listen to music, or maybe they listen to music and not the replay system...😀

14 hours ago, emcdade said:

11.  Sell all of your overpriced gear, buy a $1,000 used system and become an objectivist.  Tirelessly enter every thread and present your argument that all DACs, preamps, amps, cables, CD players, and PC's sound exactly the same when listened to in a double blind listening test.  Don't listen to actual music anymore, because tests and SINAD graphs are more interesting to you now.  You are very wise and objective, and anyone who disagrees is simply affected by sighted bias and a foolish audiophile.  Your Yamaha AVR sounds exactly like a Dan D'Agostino Relentless monoblock, and that is pretty cool.

WOW - not all people are like that. Double blind tests do throw out the crap that subjectivists love.... :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

20 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

maybe the emc in his screen name stands for electromagnetic confusion

Ah confusion, a weekend with 4 of the grand kids (SNR 100%) , all 7 or under, staying with their respective parents has increased my confusion somewhat, and reduced my tolerance for humanity😀, as to the mess you would think we have been burgled or hit by a tornado.

Audiophile forums are like heaven in comparison.