IGNORED

Upgrading from my Yiggy

I have not heard the Denafrips Terminator in my own system, though some say it tops the Yggy A2.

However I’ve compared then ADI2, Matrix Sabre Pro, and CS Solaris in my system to the A2. Full reviews will be coming here on AS, but all three have underscored how hard it is to top the Yggy A2 outright. The Matrix and Solaris, in particular, do some things better than the Yggy, and they’re probably the best DS DACs I’ve ever heard, but in terms of overall tonal accuracy and stage depth, the Yggy still wins. That said, I could easily be happy with any of the three as my only DAC. 

(Of course, if you just want a better measuring DAC and/or follow ASR I’m thinking all “properly engineered” DACs sound the same, you can just get a Modi 3 or one of the Topping DACs and be done with it.)

Trying out the Matrix or Solaris might be worthwhile, but you’re unlikely to find that any of the three clearly tops the others in every facet. 

12 minutes ago, JoshM said:

but all three have underscored how hard it is to top the Yggy A2 outright

??  It looks like the DACs which you mention all are around the same price level (<$3K) or so...  I would suggest that it might not be so hard to "top the Yggy A2 outright" if one compares it to higher priced offerings.  Indeed, at its price level it may be impossible to beat the Yggy (perhaps depending on sonic preferences), but one can get more out of (some) higher priced DACs

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio