Rate this topic

My only need for my DAC is for playback from FLAC files stored on an external HD.

I don't use DSD or any other streaming apps.

What DAC would be significantly better than my Schiit Yiggy ???

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't have the analog 2 upgrade, consider getting it.  Otherwise, IMHO at this level, all you get are different sonic flavors (typically subtle differences evident in direct A/B testing), even going up to something like the Chord Dave will not be significantly better, or even better at all depending on your personal sound preferences.

Perhaps a dcs Bartok would be significantly better?  Who knows, I've never heard one.

Home: UltraRendu + LPS 1.2 | Berkeley Alpha USB | Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 | Raidho XT-1 | 2 x Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  

Desktop: Iso Regen + LPS 1 | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 monitors | Elac S10 sub

3 minutes ago, Blake said:

Perhaps a dcs Bartok would be significantly better?  Who knows, I've never heard one.

Or maybe MSB Select Dac.  😬

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

7 hours ago, matthias said:

What is the rest of your set-up?

Maybe the replacement of a more upstream component has a much greater impact than that of the Yggy.

Does your Yggy have the latest upgrades?

Matt

Agree, a system can't sound better than its weakest link

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

The Matrix Element X looks interesting.  It will objectively measure much better than the Yggy at a minimum, but sounding better will be up to your ears.  Seems like less of a gamble than most and has a streamer.

I’ve never heard your DAC but plenty of owners seem to rate it highly  (although not so much on measurements according to ASR).

Is it possible that, regardless of budget, there is another DAC that will be an improvement? Most likely yes, but whether you would deem it a cost effective improvement is another matter..  My suggestion is try and borrow something else highly rated for its PCM capability from a dealer for a home dem in your system over a number of days and see whether you think your DAC can be improved on.  Not something you’d necessarily buy or budget for but just as a test.  Perhaps a Chord DAVE or Hugo TT2/Mscaler?  For an end game PCM only DAC I’d also think about the Phasure NOS, but not sure how easy that is to home dem.

It’s also possible that your source could be improved (it’s not clear how the music gets from hard disk to your DAC). Again, just  as a test I’d suggest trying  http://wtfplay-project.org/ (see also thread under software at this site).  It’s free and while it won’t  suit everyone as a permanent option, at least if you notice an improvement in SQ it will demonstrate that your source can also be improved on.

2 hours ago, Norton said:

I’ve never heard your DAC but plenty of owners seem to rate it highly  (although not so much on measurements according to ASR).

Is it possible that, regardless of budget, there is another DAC that will be an improvement? Most likely yes, but whether you would deem it a cost effective improvement is another matter..  My suggestion is try and borrow something else highly rated for its PCM capability from a dealer for a home dem in your system over a number of days and see whether you think your DAC can be improved on.  Not something you’d necessarily buy or budget for but just as a test.  Perhaps a Chord DAVE or Hugo TT2/Mscaler?  For an end game PCM only DAC I’d also think about the Phasure NOS, but not sure how easy that is to home dem.

It’s also possible that your source could be improved (it’s not clear how the music gets from hard disk to your DAC). Again, just  as a test I’d suggest trying  http://wtfplay-project.org/ (see also thread under software at this site).  It’s free and while it won’t  suit everyone as a permanent option, at least if you notice an improvement in SQ it will demonstrate that your source can also be improved on.

Just for you. Better DACs would be March Audio DAC1 and the Topping D50s on the less than $500 side. For a few more dollars the Okto Research DAC 8 and the SMSL D1 less than $1,500.

Always list your other gear when asking questions like this.  I found this:

-----------------------

"My current computer setup- Mac Mini----JRiver Media Player-----ISO Regen/external power supply----Schiit Yiggy-----my only source is Flac files stored on an external Thunderbolt drive.

The rest---Pass Labs-Martin Logan Montis's.....I'm actually thrilled with the current audio performance, but I'm thinking it can be even better.

Which leads to my question.....Aurender N100H Network Music Streamer with USB Output and 4TB HD

IF I wanted to invest another 3K...is the above a good option? If not what would you do with a 3K budget?"

---------------------

So what isn't pleasing about your system?  You have a nice vinyl rig, but understand that vinyl is _usually_ a very musical and forgiving source if it's well set up.  But digital might need help in your system: have you tried tube gear?  If you want some real magic, try a tube preamp and/or tube DAC like a Lampizator.  I suggest you try out a Schiit Freya, the new "+" version and with the better Tung-Sol tubes (~$1k total), and you might find that a lot more stimulating.  Tubes make a much bigger (pro or con) difference than a DAC change, typically.  I wouldn't recommend a tube amp unless you really want much more of tubes than sources/preamps can deliver.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

My system sounds amazing. It sounds amazing, because i have upgraded every piece probably a dozen times over the last 30 years.

Audio is a hobby to me. Rarely have I ever upgraded and not been thrilled with the result. I'll be honest I understand the analogue side of my system a lot better than the digital side. Thus my questions on this forum.

I have no interest in MQA or DSD...actually I'm not even sure what they are. I do have an enormous library of Flac Files. So I am interested in a great DAC like my Yiggy. I guess I'm curious on whats a noticeable improvement over my Yiggy.

As always I appreciate all the help and guidance that this forum provides.

BTW- As noted above- My system consists of-

Pass Labs Int 60-Integrated amp

Martin Logan Montis-Speakers

PS Audio P-10  Power Purifier/Regenerator

Schitt Yiggy- DAC

All Audience Interconnect, Speaker Cable and Power Cords

VPI-Prime Signature Turntable

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze-Cartridge

Pass Labs XP-17 Phono Pre Amp

Wouldn’t the A2 upgrade be worth a try as most of it’s cost would be recovered in resale value if you didn’t like the results and moved on from it?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

6 hours ago, krelldog said:

....As always I appreciate all the help and guidance that this forum provides....   .....BTW- As noted above- My system consists of....

Glad to hear it!   FWIW, I have a good DAC but am in a similar situation; I'd like to try a different DAC, my current is an Oppo UDP-205.  OTOH, My hearing has been very damaged in the last 2-3 years.  I still want to keep native DSD payback ability (the Oppo does DSD512) because I've had good experiences with SACDs done from tapes, so want to keep the DSD ability. 

I'm looking at something very good but not terribly costly, like a Holo Spring KTE.

Side note: I wish the industry would finally settle on PCM because the majority of  sound engineers who actually use hi-res well prefer it, and there is always an absolute level indication.  DSD could be delivered with metadata to provide absolute level every few ms, but currently that's not part of the process--silly.   

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Just for you. Better DACs would be March Audio DAC1 and the Topping D50s on the less than $500 side. For a few more dollars the Okto Research DAC 8 and the SMSL D1 less than $1,500.

I'd also suggest trying both more expensive and less expensive DACs and see what, if any, differences you hear. You might conclude the upgrade isn't worth the cash. The Topping DACs (including the new D70) measure very well - close to state of the art. 
Others in your price range would be the iFi iDSD Pro, the Benchmark ,and the Myteks.

As far as more expensive DACs my favorite in the under 10K range is the Playback Designs Merlot. It's FPGA based (no chip) so it can get upgrades over time. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 8/21/2019 at 12:17 PM, Dr Tone said:

Or maybe MSB Select Dac.  😬

Yep $$$$

The Truth Is Out There

I find it a bit amusing that some are suggesting it would be difficult to improve on the performance of the Yggdrasil.  I would suggest that in many cases this opinion is only wishful thinking, rather than being based on direct experience of listening to really good DACs in the same system.

If one really likes the sound of the Yggdrasil, I would suggest looking at other R2R style DACs.  Most of these are, of course, going to be significantly more costly, but one (sometimes) gets what one pays for in a DAC.

so, other R2R DACs:  MSB, as mentioned above are some of the best.  Recently I have been listening to the Bricasti M21, and it is a very, very good DAC with superb build quality (has to be seen to be believed, especially internally, the photos do not do it justice).  Maybe TotalDAC, but I have not heard those at home myself.  Also Resolution Audio Cantata comes to mind as well...

If you are looking for a "different" sound, then maybe listen to some of the DSD based DACs, like PS Audio DS, Playback Designs, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Meitner and EMM labs, etc... 

ROON: DSD 256-Signature Rendu optical--Buffalo PRO or DSC-2--Ncore 400 Stereo-Focus Audio FS888-JL E-112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, Cardas Clear AC, Iconoclast XLR, Nordost Frey speaker, cables, Synergistic Blue & Hi Fi Tuning Supreme Cu Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.    Design/Build Consultant with Sonore

SONORE computer audio

On 8/31/2019 at 6:45 PM, barrows said:

I find it a bit amusing that some are suggesting it would be difficult to improve on the performance of the Yggdrasil.  I would suggest that in many cases this opinion is only wishful thinking, rather than being based on direct experience of listening to really good DACs in the same system.

Please go back and read this thread again more carefully.  The OP is asking for a "significantly better" DAC.  Nobody in this thread suggested it would be "difficult to improve on the performance of the Yggy".  Of course "significantly" means different things to different listeners.

I know you are in the industry so perhaps you have tried dozens of TOTL DACs in your system (and if you didn't audition the DAC's in your system, then any opinion should have a huge grain of salt attached to it).  Most of us don't have that luxury. 

However, some other very experienced and knowledgeable people have bought and sold many dozens of DAC's (many at much, much higher prices, using their own personal funds), auditioning in their own system and have found the Yggy to be highly competitive and even better than some of these much more expensive DAC's.  That is not to say everyone would hear the DAC's the same way, or even that the majority would agree, but it is a data point to consider.

No one DAC will please everyone, same as any other component.  IMHO, at this level it really just becomes a matter of personal taste and system/room matching and that is why I question how many DAC's would be "significantly better" such that I would be willing to pay 3x, 4x, 5x or more.  I am quite certain there are a number of DAC's out there I would prefer to my Yggy and probably even some that I would determine to be significantly better,  but I'm just not that motivated to try or spend a bunch more to try since I'm happy with my Yggy and it gets bonus points for being relatively cheap.

Home: UltraRendu + LPS 1.2 | Berkeley Alpha USB | Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 | Raidho XT-1 | 2 x Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  

Desktop: Iso Regen + LPS 1 | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 monitors | Elac S10 sub

A few (higher priced) DACs that I believe would be significant improvements to your Yggy:

1 - Ayre QX-5 Twenty. Fully loaded version (with all digital inputs including Ethernet renderer) is about $9K. Often available for sale in used market for $5K to $6K

2 - MSB Technology Discrete DAC. MSRP of about $10K with no modules. If you add one of the modules plus the second power supply, it gets about $13K. Yes, pricey, but totally worth it. I don't think I have ever seen one in used market though

And there is nothing wrong with experimenting. This is indeed a hobby, not life or death situation