Jump to content
NOMBEDES

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON COMPRESSED MUSIC

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

It was on the web-site before the 2019 Proms started on July 19th, but I can’t find it now. It may well be that the Apple Lossless is only used on the Proms streams and not the regular programming. A couple of years ago the Proms was streamed using FLAC, but one had to go to the BBC’s technical web-site and use Firefox 23+ to access it.

 

You're in danger of spreading fake news here. Why would there be this sudden (and apparently no longer announced) adoption of ALAC in favour of FLAC that was carefully & successfully trialled, especially with the BBC clearly stating that they don’t currently have any plans to provide any permanent lossless services following that FLAC Proms streaming trial of 2017?

 

Please read carefully the page I linked to in my last post. Similar info can be found on the BBC Radio 3 forum (and similar to the BBC's own website, absolutely no mention of the BBC streaming in ALAC for the current Proms season), eg:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?20518-High-Resolution-Stream

 

 

BTW, there's no shame in admitting that lossy 320kbps AAC internet radio streams can sound good too!


We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rexp said:

Strange that someone as concerned with SQ as Neil Young couldn't get his CD's to sound acceptable?

 

At least he did the highly principled thing, and didn't sell any.


--

Do facts matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, wgscott said:

 

At least he did the highly principled thing, and didn't sell any.

 

https://neilyoungarchives.com/

 

You can buy them here....


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, crenca said:

 

@wgscotthumor can be rather dry 😉

 

Mine too - why I posted the link :D

 

I just had to. @wgscott might want to buy some. Good for scaring cats..... :D

 


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, how do you culture things with a dry wit?


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Based on Reiss's work, I'm gonna go with:  The best CD quality audio is [almost] as good as the best high-res. 

 

i.e. the difference is difficult to detect, but trained listeners can do so to a high statistical likelihood

 

as for Neil, I dunno - love his music but not his audiology or his one-sided history of the Aztecs (they were brutal)

 

 

Oh yes, those Aztecs were brutal.  And those Europeans did such a good job of enslaving the natives.  And those wonderful Priests who made sure that most of the codex(s?) were burned.  No good guys back then.   In fact, I would like to see Spain and Portugal cut a $1000. check to each surviving native person from Mexico to Chile.  We could call it reparations!


In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, how do you culture things with a dry wit?

 

You drink a lot of wit beer first, then switch to dry gin. 

 

Just an FYI.....


Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

 

You're in danger of spreading fake news here. Why would there be this sudden (and apparently no longer announced) adoption of ALAC in favour of FLAC that was carefully & successfully trialled, especially with the BBC clearly stating that they don’t currently have any plans to provide any permanent lossless services following that FLAC Proms streaming trial of 2017?

 

Please read carefully the page I linked to in my last post. Similar info can be found on the BBC Radio 3 forum (and similar to the BBC's own website, absolutely no mention of the BBC streaming in ALAC for the current Proms season), eg:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?20518-High-Resolution-Stream

 

 

BTW, there's no shame in admitting that lossy 320kbps AAC internet radio streams can sound good too!

Perhaps, I jumped to a conclusion and confused AAC with ALAC. If it is 320kbps AAC, it does indeed, sound very good - much better than any Internet streaming MP3 that I’ve heard. Thanks for the correction.


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

 

 

Oh yes, those Aztecs were brutal.  And those Europeans did such a good job of enslaving the natives.  And those wonderful Priests who made sure that most of the codex(s?) were burned.  No good guys back then.   In fact, I would like to see Spain and Portugal cut a $1000. check to each surviving native person from Mexico to Chile.  We could call it reparations!

I would call it a very poor idea. But this is an audio forum, and no place for politics.


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I would call it a very poor idea. But this is an audio forum, and no place for politics.

 

 

Oh George.   Mr Young sez that your brain is under assault because of missing bits and bytes and you are worried about politics?

Get thee to vinyl and, as the Jefferson Airplane once said:  "Feed Your Head".

 

Ok, Ok, lets cut the payment down to $500. and call it a day.


In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, psjug said:

Do you think Neil Young is supporting Pocahontas for president?

 

 

I have no doubt about Mr. Young's affiliation:  To wit:  One of the great NY songs:   

 

 

And maybe Marlon Brando
Will be there by the fire
We'll sit and talk of Hollywood
And the good things there for hire
And the Astrodome
and the first tepee
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me
Pocahontas.

 


In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

 

 

Oh George.   Mr Young sez that your brain is under assault because of missing bits and bytes and you are worried about politics?

Get thee to vinyl and, as the Jefferson Airplane once said:  "Feed Your Head".

 

Ok, Ok, lets cut the payment down to $500. and call it a day.

Let’s cut the payment down to NOTHING and avoid a really destructive precedent.🤐 


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NOMBEDES said:

 

 

I have no doubt about Mr. Young's affiliation:  To wit:  One of the great NY songs:   

 

 

And maybe Marlon Brando
Will be there by the fire
We'll sit and talk of Hollywood
And the good things there for hire
And the Astrodome
and the first tepee
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me
Marlon Brando, Pocahontas and me
Pocahontas.

 

Really EW should adopt it as her campaign song, which would diffuse the Trump nickname and anyway it's just a great song.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, psjug said:

Do you think Neil Young is supporting Pocahontas for president?

To be honest, I have no opinion and don’t give a damn about who or what Neil Young supports. 


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

To be honest, I have no opinion and don’t give a damn about who or what Neil Young supports. 

Lighten up, it's almost Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mansr said:

Cutting some other payments might have avoided a really destructive president.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Even so, you are just begging Chris to shut this thread down due to the politics. 


George

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

You are assuming facts not in evidence. Even so, you are just begging Chris to shut this thread down due to the politics. 

You assume I'm referring to a particular president.

 

Anyway, end of digression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a quick listen of a couple of tracks from Neil Young albums, on YouTube - Hitchhiker, and Mirror Ball ... I have not kept with the man, so these are completely unknown to me. Former shows he has not changed one iota from where he started, decades ago, with Harvest; the latter has the infamous heavy distortion guitar, but is well recorded - a good test album for whether a rig can reproduce the clarity of the other sounds while carrying the strongly distorted guitar.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Ahhh, Mankind ... Porsche intellect, Trabant emotions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Perhaps, I jumped to a conclusion and confused AAC with ALAC. If it is 320kbps AAC, it does indeed, sound very good - much better than any Internet streaming MP3 that I’ve heard. Thanks for the correction.

I'd take live AAC streaming over CD playback anyday. How about you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, botrytis said:

 

Mine too - why I posted the link :D

 

I just had to. @wgscott might want to buy some. Good for scaring cats..... :D

 

 

I am a huge Neil Young fan.  I just don't buy his arguments about audio quality.  But I did buy some of his high-res that turned out to be up-sampled redbook.


--

Do facts matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...