IGNORED

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON COMPRESSED MUSIC

9 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

"We are poisoning ourselves with degraded sound.  ...

Have to agree with this ... a big disappointment years ago was going to a "big show" - and copping an earful of awful sound - "I'm paying money to listen to this !!?" ... Ended up stopping going to anything with a musical accompaniment, via a so-called PA system - the few jewels one came across didn't compensate for all the dross ...

12 hours ago, SJK said:

That hasn't been my experience.  I find that, on average the PA systems in place today provide a musical presentation with an accuracy, clarity and detail that was never there before. 

Sure, sometimes they get the mix wrong or the singer has a hot mike, but whether big arena events or small local theater, the sound has never been better.  

This could be very well true, down in Australia now - I haven't been to a 'premium' event in some time, and they may have learnt from each other, to elevate the standard. Even 30 years some of the best presentations showed that the equipment was up to it, if it was intelligently handled - but lack of the latter was far too evident, far too often. Typically, musical climaxes were torture, the huge levels of OTT distortion were diabolical - the rare ones that carried this off without drama demonstrated that it was indeed possible to get it right.

The obsession in the 'pro' ranks used to be to make it loud, loud, loud - above everything else - certainly amateur affairs I come across now are still as bad ... just wander by a fashion parade, for example! :P

Just had a quick listen of a couple of tracks from Neil Young albums, on YouTube - Hitchhiker, and Mirror Ball ... I have not kept with the man, so these are completely unknown to me. Former shows he has not changed one iota from where he started, decades ago, with Harvest; the latter has the infamous heavy distortion guitar, but is well recorded - a good test album for whether a rig can reproduce the clarity of the other sounds while carrying the strongly distorted guitar.