IGNORED

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON COMPRESSED MUSIC

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

The BBC uses Apple lossless compression to stream the “Proms” concerts (going on now through Sept. 11, every night in London [11:30 AM PDT, or 2:30 PM EDT daily at BBC3.com] over the Internet, and I’ve yet to hear anything that I could recognize as being a compression artifact (and I’m pretty sensitive to digital compression artifacts.

Are you certain of this?

Last I heard, the BBC have yet to adopt lossless compressed audio streaming following their experimental FLAC carrying MPEG-DASH trial streams of the 2017 season BBC Proms:

http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/BBC/Flac/LackAlas.html

I haven't seen any mention of the Apple lossless audio codec being used by the BBC for their internet radio broadcasts. I hope you are not confusing lossless compressed ALAC with lossy compressed AAC (both can be contained in an .m4a file which could lead to confusion). The BBC are certainly using AAC in both their HLS and MPEG-DASH streams!.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

It was on the web-site before the 2019 Proms started on July 19th, but I can’t find it now. It may well be that the Apple Lossless is only used on the Proms streams and not the regular programming. A couple of years ago the Proms was streamed using FLAC, but one had to go to the BBC’s technical web-site and use Firefox 23+ to access it.

You're in danger of spreading fake news here. Why would there be this sudden (and apparently no longer announced) adoption of ALAC in favour of FLAC that was carefully & successfully trialled, especially with the BBC clearly stating that they don’t currently have any plans to provide any permanent lossless services following that FLAC Proms streaming trial of 2017?

Please read carefully the page I linked to in my last post. Similar info can be found on the BBC Radio 3 forum (and similar to the BBC's own website, absolutely no mention of the BBC streaming in ALAC for the current Proms season), eg:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?20518-High-Resolution-Stream

BTW, there's no shame in admitting that lossy 320kbps AAC internet radio streams can sound good too!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox