IGNORED

THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON COMPRESSED MUSIC

6 hours ago, botrytis said:

If you can't measure, what are they hearing? It might be their sub-conscious adding in those artifacts. This is known to happen.

On the contrary, why bother measuring when true audiophiles like Neil Young know THERE ARE NO MEASURING DEVICES CAPABLE OF DETECTING WHAT CAUSES MOST CD TO SOUND UTTER CRAP. 

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Perhaps, I jumped to a conclusion and confused AAC with ALAC. If it is 320kbps AAC, it does indeed, sound very good - much better than any Internet streaming MP3 that I’ve heard. Thanks for the correction.

I'd take live AAC streaming over CD playback anyday. How about you? 

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Depends. The assumption that CD is somehow an inferior format is pure mythology. As I’ve said before, if some CDs sound lousy, it’s either the source material or the execution. Before arbitrarily throwing the baby out with the bath water, do yourself a favor and track-down the JVC XRCD release of Prokofiev ‘s “Lt. Kiji Suite” with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (I believe it’s available through Amazon). It’s Redbook CD, not high-res, but if you don’t find it spectacular to the point of being better than the SACD release of the same material from BMC/Sony, and better than most high res material of any kind, I’ll eat the disc!

I did buy a couple of jazz XRCD's ages ago and they were not good, classical sounds better on CD to me, no idea why. 

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have a lot of jazz XRCDs and most of them sound pretty good. OTOH, many of these XRCD jazz CDs are from labels like Riverside and Impulse, from the 1950s and were mono, recorded at 7.5 ips. Those recorded by Rudy van Gelder fare better. But the point is that there is nothing wrong with CD as a format. Well produced ones are marvelous, poorly produced ones wouldn’t sound any better in a high-res format.

Can you recommend a Coltrane CD? Thanks!