IGNORED

Ayre QB-9 Twenty upgrade

Hi, I use a QB-9 24/96 with Qobuz Studio, and I am saving my pennies for the DSD Twenty upgrade. Some of you talk about the Regen USB tool, I myself have the  iFi Audio nano iUSB3.0 Power Supply & Data Optimizer, which you cannot buy anymore. Is it a good idea to use it with the upgrade, or better to trust the clocking etc. of the DSD Twenty technology? Of course I can have a listen when the gear is there, but what would be the theory? I am happy with Ayre making my purchase of the QB-9 24/96 more relevant to modern times. The 24/96 I presume is now rather archaic.   

Thank you, I am betting with my 1790 euro you are right, and the DSD twenty upgrade will be a delight for my ears, coming from the 24/96. It was the inner fidelity You Tube video on Stax SR-009 amplification, that provoked the purchase, of my Ayre QB-9 Dac. My income is too modest for the SR-009, I use the L700 Mk1. It is good enough to hear a lot. Kind regards Yoram  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGtjJYVew4&t=437s

• 6 months later...

Hi, the QB-9 is not a digital hub, so there is no USB transport with an app on a tablet etc. Transports are costly, Lumin and Auralic ask 2000 euro, and they are not completely USB focused. I paid 1790 euro for the twenty upgrade, it will be the upgrade from the original 24/96. It is being built this week and it will be nice surely and I will be happy. There is the USB bridge a DIY computer, but I do not build computers, I don't. Pro-ject pimped this DIY computer into the Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra. I listen to Qobuz studio 24/192 records too so I will need the Ayre USB driver. This transport will be a budget solution like the QB-9 24/96 was. The twenty upgrade is also in a way somewhat affordable. Lumin will be better than Pro-ject, but I spent enough. Can I use the Pro-ject with the Ayre USB driver for 24/192 Qobuz? Thank you, best wishes Yoram

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi I have the RCA to my Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp, but the XLR is still free. I was thinking of this converter: Jensen Transformers PC-2XR XLR/RCA Audio Converter Balanced to Unbalanced. Are there technical reasons why that would not work? Ideal would be to have 2 RCA outputs, one for my head amp and one for my  preamp ->loudspeakers. Also: Can I use 2 outputs RCA and XLR at the same time? Thanks Yoram

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

You forum people use oversampling and upsampling as if they are synonymous. I know oversampling from NOS dacs Non oversampling dacs. And Upsampling from the Chord M-scaler and external upsampling software. I did not know you could have Roon upsampling. I have no Roon, because I thought you pay 10 euro each month for basically nothing. I always  thought: Upsampling is for other dacs than my QB-9 Twenty. I do not use a noisy computer anymore to feed the QB-9, I use a SOtM sMS-200 Neo- SE with silver wire, upgraded caps and a SBooster PSU. My hifi is growing into quite nice and I thought of upgrading my USB bridge towards a SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo-SE with silver wire, that one costs 1600 euro. Would anyone know a better alternative? If so please let me know😊. Thanks, Yoram

• 2 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 12:40 AM, spin33 said:

Anyone here have any experience putting a USB Isolator of the JCAT/Intona variety in front of their QB-9 Twenty? I've been happily running a USB cable from my Roon core machine (formerly a sonicTranporter, now a Roon Nucleus) directly to the QB-9/20, but see a used JCAT for sale from a private party for a reasonable price and feel like experimenting. I've heard that there are a few DACs that don't play nice (or even play at all) with these devices, some Hegel DACs for example. Any insight or informed speculation re JCAT/QB-9 compatibility would be appreciated.

jonathan

I had the iFi nano USB regenerator or what it is called, but the sound  it was much better without the iFi. Since then, I have a dedicated USB bridge/ streaming transport. Thus I have no noise from a noisy PC. That did help me. I donot know if it would help you.

• 5 months later...