IGNORED

Ayre QB-9 Twenty upgrade

I'm glad it got back safe to you.  One of the drawbacks of the level of upgrade is that we had to replace just about everything inside the unit, so you will be starting over on the break-in process.  That said, I think you'll be pleased with it.  I've ended up liking this upgrade quite a bit more than I did the DSD upgrade back in 2013.

Cheers,

Ryan Berry

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 3:32 PM, Norman said:

Beautiful, clean board design. Nice Wima film caps and good Rubycon electrolytics. Just as clean and elegant as it gets.8CB899A5-4A2D-4DAF-9873-8E87F52F9292.thumb.jpeg.f0f1c2445c46866d9e730e8aded900d1.jpegEFC8520E-B53B-4331-9FBD-68F848C12879.thumb.jpeg.bea6d53afac23bfca09f5d02a51d7afa.jpeg

Thanks Norman!  We take a lot of pride in our layouts and Ariel is an absolute genius when it comes to circuit design.  I'm glad you were impressed!

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:16 AM, desbiss said:

I've upgraded mine, and after a rocky start I am loving it! Mine initially had USB cycling (3 blue bars on display, then standby light and so on... perpetual loop). Apparently there was an issue where the USB receiver in my DAC thought there wasn’t enough voltage. I worked with my dealer & Ayre and they provided a firmware update that resolved the issue. Even before being broken in it clearly bettered mine with the QB-9 DSD upgrade. :)

Only issue now is that mine is NOT (yet) Native DSD compatible. I have worked with Antipodes (my renderer is an EX) and been able to conclude that it is not my EX, so Antipodes has reached out to Ayre. Note: I am able to use DoP but it only goes to half the advertised DSD rate due to the larger bandwidth used with DoP. So only 128 for me right now. :(

Antipodes has reached out to Ayre and I am hopeful that another firmware update from Ayre will get Native DSD enabled, as this was a major selling feature for me.

Just to confirm, we have been talking with Antipodes.  It all seems related to flags and Linux, so we'll be looking into it further based on their advice.  Once we've figured out what needs to be done, the update will be in the form of a firmware release for one unit or the other.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

2 hours ago, desbiss said:

Hi Ryan! Kindest thanks for your response. I am excited for the Native DSD 256 functionality, so if there is anything I can do to assist please let me know.

Also, this may not be specific to Linux... My dealer mentioned that the issue is also occurring in a Mac OS scenario. They have a customer using Roon via Mac OS who is having the same issues as myself with Native DSD and files above DSD128 (ie no DSD265 when using DoP, and no Native DSD whatsoever).

Again, sincerest thanks!

I'll look into this one more, but my current understanding is that's an unfortunate limitation of the Macs.  They insist on doing everything through DoP, so you lose half the rate.  I haven't dug long enough to find the workaround there, if there is one.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

13 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

Ryan, is a similar update for the QX-5 in the works?

We tend to avoid announcing any updates before we're ready to release it.  The QX-5 already has much of what the QB-9 received in this update -- particularly the Twenty circuit design.  So the quick change would simply address the USB section.  While I know that makes a difference beyond just the capability to play Native DSD, we're always pretty hesitant to release an upgrade unless it's more significant than just that.  The DSD version of the QB-9 and DX-5 upgrades is an example of how we weren't happy just enabling DSD and charging for it.  Ayre's never been a company that releases yearly updates just to get you to keep sending your unit in to us.  That said, we are always working on things to improve our products beyond where we are today, so once we have accumulated a list of upgrades that is worthy of the product, I'm quite certain we'll have something available.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

1 hour ago, jma2 said:

Hi all,

As desbiss assumed correctly, a firmware update managed to get the initial problem solved. I am able to play music via the Squeezebox Touch and the Uptone USB REGEN. I haven't done too much listening with respect to the quality of the sound as I want it to break in over the week and further because it's a bit hectic with work now.

One thing I tried was to verify the PCM claims (up to 384kHz). I used the 2L test bench and in particular the first track (the Hoff Ensemble (nice track by the way!)). When I played back the 24bit/352.8kHz version of it, either I ran into problems or the Ayre ran into problems (could somebody verify if this track plays with you? It would be very much appreciated). I unexpectedly heard an irregular very low-frequency rumble in stead of the nice track. The rest of the PCM tracks worked fine and since I couldn't find any 384kHz track, I couldn't test the max rating.

image.thumb.png.324cf141ac1b61318887634cf2c7f15f.png

I will try DSD later.

Dear Ryan, is there a way for us to determine which firmware version we are running? If more versions of it get into circulation it may be difficult to pinpoint issues or to compare. And how will we find out if a new version becomes available?

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I've had no problems with playing 352.8kHz files here using Foobar, but I'll try it with the file you linked.  It will likely be tomorrow for me to be able to get to this.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't work, but anything is possible.  There's a few factors that can be at play in this setup, so we can at least start with verifying that the QB-9 is handling the file correctly directly from the PC and work from there.

Right now there's only two versions of the firmware: one that may get caught in the "Err" loop and one that doesn't.  Sonically, they're otherwise identical (as long as the first version isn't caught in the aforementioned loop).  That said, if we release another version in the future, I've asked Ariel to add on a splash screen when the unit is first plugged in to show the firmware the unit is currently running, so that will appear in future versions.  Otherwise, it can be checked using the AyreLink ports on the back, but honestly setting up that port to connect to a computer is more work than it's worth just to check a firmware version.

As far as future releases, if you're not already, you can signup for our mailing list on the Ayre webpage at www.ayre.com.  As we update any of our products, we send announcements through our list there.  If you scroll to the bottom of any page on our site, you can see a field to enter your email address for the newsletter.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Des,

Thanks for the report.  It sounds like something I need to play with more.  Are you using any additional filtering in their DSP engine or just the conversion to DSD? 

DSD 256 is something the unit could technically support in the QB-9, but not with the improvements we made in getting the data from the USB microcontroller to the DAC chip in the QB-9 Twenty.  We did a LOT of listening to the more traditional method vs. our new way of handling the data and there was a pretty clear winner to us.  The tradeoff was that it caps us off at DSD 128 in the unit without getting into some really expensive oscillators like the QX-5 uses.  Theoretically, we could have had it simply revert to sending data the normal way when playing DSD 256, but it makes zero sense to have a higher sample rate that we know will sound worse than the lower rates.  We can likely get more out of it with other lines, but I doubt we'll be able to simply patch in some firmware that gets around this.  I hate to sound negative on something, as I love nothing more than to figure out solutions around issues, but I also hate to have you hoping for something we've done a few rounds on already.  You never know what we may come up with, however!

Glad to be a part of the community.  I'm a hobbiest myself and have a lot of similar interests to people here even outside of being a manufacturer, so this is probably the place I'm most active.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

1 hour ago, desbiss said:

I also wanted to clarify - my enquiry was regarding Native DSD 265. You and I have been in email dialogue regarding it not working (yet) with my Antipodes EX. We had not yet conversed regarding potential resolution.

Ah, right you are!  I had DSD 512 in my head from a conversation I had with another Ayre user yesterday.  Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, DSD 256 SHOULD be a simple fix.  We'll try and follow up with Antipodes to see where we're at on this one.  On a positively note, Melco recently sent us an update to try on our Melco unit here and we were able to play DSD 256 successfully, so I'm quite confident that it's possible.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

2 hours ago, desbiss said:

That’s great news! Thanks again Ryan. :)

As an update: when I last checked with Antipodes they had connected Ariel with an individual who is familiar with the automatic Native DSD detection in the Linux software used by Small Green Computer and Sonore, (as well as Antipodes).

I understand the problem is not in using the QB-9 with Linux kernels, but the QB-9 Twenty firmware’s ability to be detected as Native DSD capable in the aforementioned Linux application.

Thanks again for the cross-company collaboration. Cheers!

Hi Des,

I'll let Ariel and handle that.  After further looking into things, I don't believe this is the final solution, and as the QB-9 is working flawlessly with other platforms like the Melco, I suspect it's just a matter of tweaking on the Antipodes end.  Again, I don't want to say too much on the subject as I'm not involved with the firmware end outside of the conceptual level, but the goods news is we know that it can work with the firmware in the QB-9 as-is.  There's been a few emails that have gone back and forth on this, so I'll want to check with Ariel once he's back from his trip for the latest update before saying more.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

21 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

I've never seen an advantage in handling files for DSD conversion and applying particular filters/algorithms when DAC is not no-oversampling. If QB-9 "Twenty" continues to apply its own filters or its own upsampling/oversampling, even when using external conversion, there should be no advantage. Personally, I prefer to always work with files in their original format. But I think this is very relative from system to system. Sabre chips usually deal better with DSD, and I believe bit-by-bit data transmission is less dependent on clock synchronization between devices compared to 16 or 24-bit closed packet transmission. There are a lot of factors that determine the outcome, and perhaps that is why DSD works better. But, with good transport, the formats should play with equal quality.

Another determining factor of the result is the driver. The driver provided by Ayre, although a bit outdated, in my opinion, is a key to getting the best possible result from DAC. So, I think QB-9 works at its maximum potential with Windows (and the specific driver) than with Linux. I've tried over ten Linux operating systems (including AudioLinux and Euphony), and QB-9 always performs better with Windows, among other factors, also because of its specific Thesycon driver. It is critical to the best result.

Hi Felipe,

I tend to agree, and I know Charley was fairly vocal on his feelings on DSD/PCM differences (or lack thereof) in the past, but I'm always open to an excuse to go listen to some music some more to test!  Computer audio can be tricky at times when it comes to nailing down what is making the real difference, especially when different players enter the mix.  Testing every combination can become a huge time commitment once you start comparing Windows vs. Apple, vs. Linux, fanless systems, dedicated players vs. general use computers, Roon vs. Decibel vs. Audirvana, etc...it gets overwhelming quick.  Similar to you, I always like to play it as recorded.  It sounds best to me in the tests I've done in the past, but not so much that I would discount the possibility of bias of wanting to keep it simple.

It's interesting you should mention the driver.  We actually have a brand new one this year that's completely updated and necessary for raw/native DSD playback on Windows.  You can find it on our page at https://www.ayre.com/support/, select Firmware, and then select the USB Driver tab.  Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

5 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

A friend installed the new version of the driver and was able to get his QB-9 DSD to work. I don't know if the problem is only in version 192/24 or if it is on my computer, but I'll reiterate the experiments calmly and post again here.

Hi Felipe,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having.  Similar to your friend, the unit I personally tested this on was the QB-9 DSD.  I would assume this would work with both as the actual USB portion of circuit is the same between the two units with some minor firmware changes (which is why the old drive worked with both), but I hadn't tested the 192 version explicitly myself.  I'll speak with R&D to see if they have done that experiment and try and recreate it here just in case there's some strange incompatibility we're missing.  Unfortunately, this MAY be after the Christmas break with holiday schedules hitting us, but we'll do our best.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Tone Deaf said:

Hi Ryan,

Just got back home after 2 months in Tucson - now experiencing connectivity issues, including the usb cycling, that might be related to this.  Received mine back in mid October, so guessing my unit be one of the affected ones.  Weird that it was stable before I left town.  I would be fine performing the update myself.   I'll PM you with contact details.

Paul

Hey Paul,

Sent you a message.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 3 months later...

With the QB-9 being asynchronous, you're likely getting little benefit from external reclocking solutions.  However, I think people are seeing an improvement with devices like these as they add an extra level of isolation on the incoming power.  Your QB-9 uses the PC's power and ground to power the USB PHY chip prior to isolation from the rest of the digital circuit.  We then send it over to the DAC after separating the ground and adding our own power supply for the rest of the digital circuit.  Having a separate power supply from the PC going into that PHY chip would very likely have varying levels of improvement depending on the PC.  Of course, as you said, the best way to tell what you prefer is to try it out and let me know what you think.  I may want to pick up one for myself!

As far as improvement, I think you'll be pretty blown away going from a 24/96 QB-9 to the Twenty.  Each upgrade we've done on this particular unit has been pretty spectacular in how much it improved from the previous version, so jumping straight to the Twenty is going to sound a lot different for you, I'd wager.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.