IGNORED

Kazoo does not show FLAC any more

CVJ

458BA0B3-E593-4E56-9CBD-5701A36DB064.thumb.png.2d306a1685a3f0fd840bf67ad41e723a.pngEA6802FB-06D6-4450-B04C-9D270D6728A6.thumb.png.5a78279bc8f44e08621a4e5275e7d08b.pngI am streaming Tidal via a microRendu to my NuWave DSD, using Kazoo on a mini iPad. The microRendu is set to stream FLAC using the MDP/DNLA setting.

Yesterday, as I was streaming a “Master” file, Kazoo (for the first and so far only time) showed that it was streaming “ FLAC 0 kHz/0 bit 1.4 Mbps” format. And my playback system sounded so much better than ever before.

But today, playing the same file, Kazoo is back to CD quality; and I am going nuts trying to find out why I can not get back to FLAC quality. I have tried everything I can think of...but still no joy.

I am hoping someone reading this can help me get back to audio Nirvana!

EA6802FB-06D6-4450-B04C-9D270D6728A6.thumb.png.5a78279bc8f44e08621a4e5275e7d08b.png

11 hours ago, CVJ said:

I am streaming Tidal via a microRendu to my NuWave DSD, using Kazoo on a mini iPad. The microRendu is set to stream FLAC using the MDP/DNLA setting.

Yesterday, as I was streaming a “Master” file, Kazoo (for the first and so far only time) showed that it was streaming “ FLAC 0 kHz/0 bit 1.4 Mbps” format.

11 hours ago, CVJ said:

No. I mean a 96/24 FLAC file

What makes you think that the Linn Kazoo app displaying "FLAC 0 kHz/0 bit 1.4 Mbps" means you are streaming a 96/24 FLAC file from TIDAL?

Also, how exactly do you know you were streaming a "Master" file from TIDAL?

BTW, your reply to @vortecjr 's question is very odd, if by 'Master' you actually mean TIDAL's Masters tracks - TIDAL's Masters tracks are MQA tracks!

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000397069-TIDAL-MASTERS

TIDAL's Masters MQA tracks are normally delivered in a FLAC file container, which may be possibly be what is confusing you.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

24 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The reason I ask is because when you are using Kazoo the Tidal masters are not presented and there is no way to just select them. Even if you search MQA only one album shows up that is MQA.    

Indeed, there's no obvious indication on the Linn Kazoo app to differentiate between a TIDAL Masters album & a CD sourced album when connecting with a TIDAL HiFi account. This is why you are often presented with what appears to be two versions  of the same album in Linn Kazoo's TIDAL pages - one is the Masters MQA sourced version and the other the CD sourced version and no no way of telling which is which. The same is also true when using the BubbleUPnP & BubbleDS Android apps.

BTW, isn't there a similar situation with the Lumin app when also used with BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer? Unfortunately, I don't have an iOS device to test the latest version of the Lumin app with.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

54 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Indeed, there's no obvious indication on the Linn Kazoo app to differentiate between a TIDAL Masters album & a CD sourced album when connecting with a TIDAL HiFi account. This is why you are often presented with what appears to be two versions  of the same album in Linn Kazoo's TIDAL pages - one is the Masters MQA sourced version and the other the CD sourced version and no no way of telling which is which. The same is also true when using the BubbleUPnP & BubbleDS Android apps.

BTW, isn't there a similar situation with the Lumin app when also used with BubbleUPnP Server created OpenHome renderer? Unfortunately, I don't have an iOS device to test the latest version of the Lumin app with.

I just a search for Tom Petty in Kazoo and it found two of 'The Last DJ' album. Both play as 44.1kHz.

On 8/20/2019 at 1:00 PM, vortecjr said:

I just a search for Tom Petty in Kazoo and it found two of 'The Last DJ' album. Both play as 44.1kHz.

Yes, you appear to get a duplicate of the same album on Kazoo, as well as on the other apps that don't (knowingly) support MQA I mentioned earlier (eg BubbleUPnP). However, they are clearly from different sources, just compare the track running times. For example, track 9 of Tom Petty's 'The Last DJ' album - 'You and Me': the CD sourced version is shown as 2:58 on Kazoo; whereas the MQA sourced version is shown as 3:11.

TIDAL's online server provides the streamer, connecting via Kazoo (& similar TIDAL client apps not supporting MQA), a bit depth reduced & downsampled version of 'The Last DJ'  MQA album's tracks at 16bit/44.kHz (MQA-CD, perhaps?), instead of that MQA album's original tracks, which are at the 24bit/48kHz standard MQA distribution/undecoded resolution.

The CD sourced allbum & the MQA sourced album both playing at 16/44.1kHz certainly adds to the appearance of both albums being the same.

-- Jo Cox

On 8/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, Cebolla said:

Yes, you appear to get a duplicate of the same album on Kazoo, as well as on the other apps that don't (knowingly) support MQA I mentioned earlier (eg BubbleUPnP). However, they are clearly from different sources, just compare the track running times. For example, track 9 of Tom Petty's 'The Last DJ' album - 'You and Me': the CD sourced version is shown as 2:58 on Kazoo; whereas the MQA sourced version is shown as 3:11.

TIDAL's online server provides the streamer, connecting via Kazoo (& similar TIDAL client apps not supporting MQA), a bit depth reduced & downsampled version of 'The Last DJ'  MQA album's tracks at 16bit/44.kHz (MQA-CD, perhaps?), instead of that MQA album's original tracks, which are at the 24bit/48kHz standard MQA distribution/undecoded resolution.

The CD sourced allbum & the MQA sourced album both playing at 16/44.1kHz certainly adds to the appearance of both albums being the same.

I was able to confirm your observations via Roon since it list if the title is MQA or not.