IGNORED

SD card wav audio

8 hours ago, Air Between The Notes said:

Is there an optimal way to collect and then transfer music to a wav file on an SD card? I am a Mac guy but is there more I need to do other than drag a tune out of tunes and add it to a file? Does the use of Mac limit a file I make? What about adding cd's to my ssd storage, is there details in that process? Or downloading? Thanks, Ian.

Please give more details of what you're want to do. What is the source of your music, etc. 

Wav files in iTunes from cd's imported into laptop which have been transferred here and there through various apple formats (by apple's doing), over time. starting to wonder if my files are the same anymore and should I read load the cd's and then is the laptop's reading the optimal way? I want to get the best WAV files for using an SD carder reader I have that wants FAT32 files. I just want to stop and reload what it is I have been thinking/doing with this process and see if I am on track with starting from where and how I deal with source materials and then how they end up on a SD card.

If your files remained as lossless (ALAC, AIFF, flac, WAV) when converted by Apple then you shouldn't worry. You can just convert the files to WAV and move them to your SD card. There are a few conversions programs for the Mac OS including XLD, dBpoweramp, and iTunes, of course. I use dBpoweramp. It's fast and powerful but you have to pay for it. XLD is free. There's a bit of a learning curve with XLD and dBpoweramp but plenty of users with a lot of experience who are quite willing to help should you need it. If you decide to re-rip your music you can output the converted files to your SD card via a setting in the software. Easy.

BTW, if I remember correctly, iTunes has it's own way of storing metadata and cover art so you need to check it after ripping/converting if you choose to use it. Best of luck.

4 hours ago, Melvin said:

If your files remained as lossless (ALAC, AIFF, flac, WAV) when converted by Apple then you shouldn't worry. You can just convert the files to WAV and move them to your SD card. There are a few conversions programs for the Mac OS including XLD, dBpoweramp, and iTunes, of course. I use dBpoweramp. It's fast and powerful but you have to pay for it. XLD is free. There's a bit of a learning curve with XLD and dBpoweramp but plenty of users with a lot of experience who are quite willing to help should you need it. If you decide to re-rip your music you can output the converted files to your SD card via a setting in the software. Easy.

BTW, if I remember correctly, iTunes has it's own way of storing metadata and cover art so you need to check it after ripping/converting if you choose to use it. Best of luck.

...why use something other than iTunes?

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:21 AM, Air Between The Notes said:

Is there an optimal way to collect and then transfer music to a wav file on an SD card? I am a Mac guy but is there more I need to do other than drag a tune out of tunes and add it to a file? Does the use of Mac limit a file I make? What about adding cd's to my ssd storage, is there details in that process? Or downloading? Thanks, Ian.

Why an SD card ?

https://www.premiumusb.com/blog/differences-between-usb-flash-drive-vs-sd-card

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

55 minutes ago, sandyk said:

This is the one for WAV files that I have been told is good for modifying and ultimately getting this reader, DSP, and amps under one hood for shortest runs board to board. So I have New Class D, Neutron Star 2 and it's power supply,  the new regulators and op amps of their's also in the thing and sorting out which caps and resistors to change out to what. Bonus with this thing is it has a headphone amp with it too. https://www.amazon.ca/Hifi360-HF-PLA-Quality-Desktop-WAV-FLAC/dp/B00A2QLZNS

7 minutes ago, Air Between The Notes said:

This is the one for WAV files that I have been told is good for modifying and ultimately getting this reader, DSP, and amps under one hood for shortest runs board to board. So I have New Class D, Neutron Star 2 and it's power supply,  the new regulators and op amps of their's also in the thing and sorting out which caps and resistors to change out to what. Bonus with this thing is it has a headphone amp with it too. https://www.amazon.ca/Hifi360-HF-PLA-Quality-Desktop-WAV-FLAC/dp/B00A2QLZNS

O.K.

I have seen something like this featured in DIY Audio forum some time back.

It may no longer be available to purchase though according to the link.

Do you have any additional info such as an internal photo,  the schematic, modifications etc . ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

O.K.

I have seen something like this featured in DIY Audio forum some time back.

It may no longer be available to purchase though according to the link.

Do you have any additional info such as an internal photo,  the schematic, modifications etc . ?

I could not find a schematic after looking just recently and so not being the most clued in to the details in a board? I have sent it off for someone of far more experience to have a look for me as to which caps and resistors I should be replacing and any other guidance in general. So I can't give you a pic right now either....when it returns I'll post some for you. I am really liking the look of the Silver Tantalum Non-Magnetic Resistors. Now if I was not wanting to fool around under the hood some myself? Then I would get a QA661 by QLS-HIFI.

Audio Note Silver Tantalum Non-Magnetic Resistors | Hifi Collective.pdf QA661--Hi-Fi Digital Audio Player&USB Bridge to Computer.pdf

On 8/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, Air Between The Notes said:

Wav files in iTunes from cd's imported into laptop which have been transferred here and there through various apple formats (by apple's doing), over time. starting to wonder if my files are the same anymore and should I read load the cd's and then is the laptop's reading the optimal way? I want to get the best WAV files for using an SD carder reader I have that wants FAT32 files. I just want to stop and reload what it is I have been thinking/doing with this process and see if I am on track with starting from where and how I deal with source materials and then how they end up on a SD card.

I use the USB3 version of this  with my 2x 512Gb  SDXC media library, works well. Sadly the thunderbolt option is more expensive than the USB3 option.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115097-REG/lexar_workflow_thunderbolt2_hub_hr2_with.html

FAT32 is drive size limited, perhaps you meant exFAT?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I feel sure that John Kenny will not mind me quoting part of his reply in another forum where we were both involved in the same thread. 

The best, most relaxed analogue-like sound I've heard came from an SD card player - simple electronics, fed by battery, no switchers or connections to other noise-producing devices. Unfortunately the target use for computers as general purpose computing workhorses often works against the single purpose use for audio.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:58 AM, davide256 said:

I use the USB3 version of this  with my 2x 512Gb  SDXC media library, works well. Sadly the thunderbolt option is more expensive than the USB3 option.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1115097-REG/lexar_workflow_thunderbolt2_hub_hr2_with.html

FAT32 is drive size limited, perhaps you meant exFAT?

SD card to but from SSD tied to iTunes wav files.

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

many, many members say that CD spinner or computer noise is easy to isolate from the DAC

Ok, I get that but have many, many members actually tried to leave their loves behind for another such as a smoke'n hot little SD card reader with arrival blue eyes with tongues of fire leaping from them? Look, people get it in their head that they like bouncing all over the place with a computer or spinning a disc or even just find security in a brand name or such as it is part of their identity. That's cool, even measureurers...hahaha, some won't here a thing if it ain't got that oscilloscope ring baby! Well, I am looking beyond the noise makers to cool silent running for this beggar's beach of gold. Also? Hardcore disc spinners on batteries all tweeted out who would swear they would never find anything better? Their now SD card readers. 😉

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

many, many members say that CD spinner or computer noise is easy to isolate from the DAC

And they are almost all from the hardline Objective side..

hahaha, some won't here a thing if it ain't got that oscilloscope ring baby!

Oh so true. :D

Send an  E.E. something to listen to and he will invariably look at it first in an audio editing program first before even listening to it.

2 hours ago, Air Between The Notes said:

Ok, I get that but have many, many members actually tried to leave their loves behind for another such as a smoke'n hot little SD card reader with arrival blue eyes with tongues of fire leaping from them? Look, people get it in their head that they like bouncing all over the place with a computer or spinning a disc or even just find security in a brand name or such as it is part of their identity. That's cool, even measureurers...hahaha, some won't here a thing if it ain't got that oscilloscope ring baby! Well, I am looking beyond the noise makers to cool silent running for this beggar's beach of gold. Also? Hardcore disc spinners on batteries all tweeted out who would swear they would never find anything better? Their now SD card readers. 😉

Ken Johnny said to use Shakti stones to hold the SD cards

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

And they are almost all from the hardline Objective side..

Oh so true. :D

Send an  E.E. something to listen to and he will invariably look at it first in an audio editing program first before even listening to it.

Er how many on this site use SD card readers....

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

playing_the_man.thumb.jpg.909ce1235e1ea1e2081fc1cf85482d77.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

The sound quality was stunning, compared to what?

It is stunning compared to anything else. Without the noise on general purpose computing whirring away or the more audio focused and yet noisy circuitry or the spinning of disc's. Simplest of processing to just read a FAT32 file only being injected into the audio chain and then that modded or built to as high a standard as you wish? You can't get simpler vs not injecting noise noise from unnecessary options in computing or spinning a disc.