IGNORED

"Cheap and Nasty' Speaker Drivers

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Post listening experiences, designs, etc. here

If you received a communicable disease from the Cheap and/or Nasty Speaker Drivers, state which one.

I hope that you don't expect Moderator privileges from a thread like this one which many will agree  is a veiled attack on a particular member ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On 8/17/2019 at 6:31 PM, Ralf11 said:

Post listening experiences, designs, etc. here

If you received a communicable disease from the Cheap and/or Nasty Speaker Drivers, state which one.

A little off topic perhaps, but I recently heard a pair of “refurbished” Acoustic Research AR-3ax’s from the late 1950’s. These were driven by a McIntosh 275 stereo power amp of similar vintage. The owner told me that he paid about $250 each for the speakers in around 1960, and had them locally refurbished for about $150 each. I’d say that these fulfilled the criteria of being both cheap and dirty.

My jaw dropped! These speakers; THIS SYSTEM, sounded magnificent! I had not heard a pair of AR-3ax speakers in probably 40 years, and I certainly don’t recall them sounding anywhere near this good. When I enquired about this, the owner told me that the restorer had made two changes to the speakers and one to the crossovers. He re-coned the woofers with doped paper for a better, longer lasting cabinet seal, and since the soft domed tweeter could neither be repaired nor replaced, the restorer replaced it with a Heil air-motion transformer tweeter from Parts Express! The crossovers were upgraded with audio quality polypropylene caps. The values and the crossover points were not altered. To say that I was impressed with these 60-year old “cheap and dirty” speakers would be an understatement.

George

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

maybe the "cheap" part would be the use of recycled bamboo in the tweeters?

if you used Beryllium in the tweeters and it threw Be dust into the air, that would indeed by "nasty"

Think Yamaha NS1000's that can happen with them.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects