IGNORED

SoTM upgrade?

I have a stock SoTM SMS200 - not ultra, not neo. I'm using an IfI power supply. I'm running the USB from the SoTM into a Schiit Eitr and feeding S/PDIF into a Chord Qutest DAC. Yeah, I'm a lucky guy.

This sounds great. I'm very happy with it overall. I have to say I used it for months without adding the Eitr into the mix and thought it sounded great. I had the Eitr left over from another DAC setup and I was considering selling it. I had pretty much decided to do so when I thought I should try it in my digital chain. Wow. What an instant improvement. I'm still kind of shocked about that.

When I got the SMS200 (used) I planned on upgrading - some day - to the SMS200 Ultra. But everything sounds so good as it is I haven't really bothered.

That leads me to this question. Perhaps upgrading the SMS200 to an Ultra Neo would be yet another step (or leap??) in my system's SQ. Mind you... nothing is lacking. I'd only make this change if it would take great sound and make it even better - way better.

By the way, the cables are all low level Audioquest (forest or such) and my amp is the great Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II powering utterly fantastic Harbeth P3SER speakers. I listen mostly to Jazz via Roon/Tidal/Qobuz.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

Having used a SMS200 and then upgrading to the SMS200 Ultra, it is a definite improvement if you like the SoTM sound.

In the meantime, you can also try upgrading from an iFi power supply to a good linear power supply.  It should make a worthwhile difference.  I recommend something like an UpTone LPS-1.2 or sBooster.  Should you decide to upgrade to an SMS200 Ultra or Neo, you can reuse the LPS if the Ultra/NEO voltage is the same.  I also recommend getting a better DC cable to feed the SMS200, something like a Ghent Gotham GAC4 with JSSG 360 if you are using a LPS which allows you to use an interchangeable DC cable. 

Between my own SMS200 Ultra and DAC, I use an UpTone ISO Regen powered by a LPS-1.2.  This made quite an improvement even when I was using a Eitr.  It may complicate things with your setup, but you could consider using this instead of the Eitr.  I also use a pair of UpTone USPCBs instead of a USB cable between the Ultra/ISO Regen/DAC .  IMHO, it helps improve the sound quality and saves money if you don't want to spend big bucks on USB cables at this stage. 

If you want to upgrade the USB cable, perhaps something like a Phasure Lush^2 (there's a thread about it somewhere around this forum). 

Should you proceed along this path, you would be able to upgrade to a SMS200 Ultra or NEO in the future and still use the LPS/DC Cable/ISO Regen/Lush.