IGNORED

Subjective Rating System

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

"The Bozak Concert Grand is a loudspeaker dreams are made of..."

- Stereopile, 2005

I didn't write that nor would I but the Bozak Concert Grand figures in my dreams because a pair of them were the face of the first stereo system I had ever heard.  Sometime in the mid-to-late 50s at an audio shop on Radio Row on Cortlandt Street in lower Manhattan (soon to be cleared for the construction of the World Trade Center), I was treated to a stereotape of Beethoven's 7th Symphony performed by a long-forgotten conductor and orchestra.  The tape was played on a Magnecorder via a lot of McIntosh electronics and the sound emerged from the Concert Grands.  Having heard only mono recordings before, although sometimes through more than one speaker, this was a revelation.  And I stand by that description.  Hooked me good.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

5 hours ago, esldude said:

You listen in comparison and rate 1 thru 5 the level of impairment. 

5.0 is Imperceptible

4.0 is perceptible, but not annoying. 

3.0 is slightly annoying.

2.0 is annoying.

1.0 is very annoying. 

Being serious, that's exactly how I view the playback of real world systems I come across - nearly all rigs lie in the 1.0 to 3.0 range; with the obvious goal at the top ...

Maybe audio nirvana then is to start with mono, and add one channel every two years.  You'll get regular doses of those experiences like first time with stereo, and first time with 3 channel, and quadraphonic, and 5 channel surround so on and so forth.  With Dolby's offerings you'll not run out of channels to add.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 hours ago, fas42 said:

Being serious, that's exactly how I view the playback of real world systems I come across - nearly all rigs lie in the 1.0 to 3.0 range; with the obvious goal at the top ...

Try enjoying the music, at the end the main goal is too listen to music... To me the replay system is secondary, the beat comes first.

It’s like an angle peeing in my ear.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

14 hours ago, marce said:

Try enjoying the music, at the end the main goal is too listen to music... To me the replay system is secondary, the beat comes first.

The key word there is "try" - let's say you have the use of a Porsche to drive for the day - everything's good, but, unfortunately the gearbox has a problem ... every now and again it does completely the wrong thing, and brings the car to a shuddering halt - or fails to select the right gear when you need to accelerate hard ... will your memories of the day be the great driving - or of every time it was almost a disaster when the car "did the wrong thing"?

You see, that's how listening to an ambitious but flawed rig comes across to me ...

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

angle or eagle?

maybe a screaming eagle...

Ah crap, I meant angel of cause. A screaming eagle would be way to loud and a peeing eagle that’s just nasty.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, RickyV said:

Ah crap, I meant angel of cause. A screaming eagle would be way to loud and a peeing eagle that’s just nasty.

Do angels pee?  And is it really any better if they do?

Of course an eagle doesn't just pee, it is always a combined expelling.  Definitely not what we want.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.