Ralf11

Subjective Rating System

Rate this topic

I thought it would be useful to lay out some descriptive phrases relating to the magnitude of perceived SQ.

A ranking is important.

For example, at the bottom - right next to "no difference" - would be:

Discernable

Noticeable

At or near the top:

Astounding

Jaw Dropping

and, finally:

like the birth of a new world

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Could we get some more features about scale and additive impacts of these rankings. eg 10x massive improvement = what?

Do 10 cables each having a massive improvement in a system translate into ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Hahaha good job Ralf,  good job. Your not quite an audiophile jet but you’ll get there.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus

Clock modded FS105 v3, Clock modded Isoregen, Lush^2

Patronizing

Unsympathetic

Disparaging

Hectoring

Misanthropic

Pernicious

Callous

Acerbic

Taunting

Am I doing this right? 

The only rating I've ever seen subjectivist camp come close to using was depicting how low their detractors had sunk in a given attack or body of condescension.   🗣️

9 minutes ago, rando said:

Patronizing

Unsympathetic

Disparaging

Hectoring

Misanthropic

Pernicious

Callous

Acerbic

Taunting

Am I doing this right? 

The only rating I've ever seen subjectivist camp come close to using was depicting how low their detractors had sunk in a given attack or body of condescension.   🗣️

No,  you are in the wrong mind set

Under development:

39 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I thought it would be useful to lay out some descriptive phrases relating to the magnitude of perceived SQ.

A ranking is important.

For example, at the bottom - right next to "no difference" - would be:

Discernable

Noticeable

At or near the top:

Astounding

Jaw Dropping

and, finally:

like the birth of a new world

Where does "So what?" fit in?

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

like the birth of a new world, that is hilarious.

Under development:

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Could we get some more features about scale and additive impacts of these rankings. eg 10x massive improvement = what?

Do 10 cables each having a massive improvement in a system translate into ?

nuh unh uh !!

we are not going to quantify anything!

but Rank Order Statistics -- yeh!  

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Where does "So what?" fit in?

it would have to go in the middle somewhere; above discernible but far below jaw-dropping

... that reminds me.. "blankets were lifted" is obvious more than a quantum bum above "veils were lifted"

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

it would have to go in the middle somewhere; above discernible but far below jaw-dropping

... that reminds me.. "blankets were lifted" is obvious more than a quantum bum above "veils were lifted"

It covers a lot of ground.

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

We might also seek to unearth some verbiage that relates to various qualities in the sound.

For example:

the system's phase coherence is like a rancid schmear on a stale bagel

There actually are some standards on this.  MUSHRA is a method of subjective quality assessment. 

There is also 

BS.1116-1 which hopefully not aptly named.  

It deals mostly in levels of impairment of the reproduced sound quality. 

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bs/R-REC-BS.1116-1-199710-S!!PDF-E.pdf

You would have specific categories, like imaging, balance of response, global audio quality and some others are possible. 

You listen in comparison and rate 1 thru 5 the level of impairment. 

5.0 is Imperceptible

4.0 is perceptible, but not annoying. 

3.0 is slightly annoying.

2.0 is annoying.

1.0 is very annoying. 

I suppose one could do it reverse. 

5.0  Night and day better.

4.0 Many veils lifted.

3.0 One veil lifted.

2.0 Different, but not better.

1.0 Not different. 

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Imaging was like a dirty ceramic tile bathroom in New Orleans at the end of a 5 day drunk at Mardis Gras.  

most xlnt.!

BTW, I've been in that bathroom but the City tore it down....

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

Imaging was like a dirty ceramic tile bathroom in New Orleans at the end of a 5 day drunk at Mardis Gras.  

The vapid sense of air and space was as grainy as a swarm of flies surrounding roadkill in the west Texas sun.  

Which equipment is this?  The specificity is remarkable, it must be an amazingly high-fidelity loudspeaker!  Birth of a new (dystopian?) world!  :D 

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

16 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

Which equipment is this?  The specificity is remarkable, it must be an amazingly high-fidelity loudspeaker!  Birth of a new (dystopian?) world!  :D 

Bozak Concert Grand. Now I've probably insulted some one who has them. Apologies for that, but I'm calling it the way I heard it.

To paraphrase Rick James, "sighted listening is a helluva drug".

"The Bozak Concert Grand is a loudspeaker dreams are made of..."

- Stereopile, 2005

Can't believe I forgot "danceable"

"... way better than anything I have heard...Simply put these are very danceable cables. Music playing through them results in the proverbial foot-tapping scene with the need or desire to get up and move. Great swing and pace—these cables smack that right on the nose big time."