IGNORED

True to life recording? - We are fooling ourselves!

STC

3 hours ago, STC said:

Yes. It is known as domestic/virtual concert hall reproduction. A real concert hall RT is about 1.7second and it is impossible to create them unless you have a room that is capable of reproducing the long RT which means it is impossible with any typical room unless you do them artificially with multi speakers to recreate the long RT using real 360 degree concert hall impulse response . See my signature for more info.

There are other attempts of multi channel production but they all still limited to the physical restraint of reverbs and limited channels of reverbs. Having said that, they are more natural than a typical equidistant stereo setup.  

Again, for music the extra channels are there to reproduce the rear ambiance which is part of concert hall experience. They are better than stereo but still more to catchup as the reverbs do not come from just the rear speakers location.

Centre channel got no role for music. It was invented for theaters.

"Centre channel got no role for music. It was invented for theaters."

I believe that many years back research was done ( I think by Bell Labs, but don't quote me on that) on the followup to mono.  Three speakers were considered optimum, but two speakers became the norm.  It is usually referred to as stereo, but I believe any multiple was considered "stereo".

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

I'm taxing my memory today.  Had to look up some details.  After the initial recordings, the later Mercury Living Presence recordings were recorded on three tracks which Wilma Cozart later mixed down to two tracks. I know that Wilma Cozart Fine later remastered them for digital. I have played some of them through a surround sound synthesizer.  Some take well to the synthesizer and some sound better to me in the original 2 channel mix.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook