IGNORED

DolbyA decoding feedback -- 'feral' examples (yes/no)

Hey John,

Of course I like to have a constructive contribution here. But well, if telling it is all over wrong is that, then hopefully it is ... that.

Raining on your parade ... (but it hopefully helps anyway) ...

I listened to the Bread's V6 FLAC (only those). I don't know where you took that from, but there is no dynamics to be seen anywhere.

Oh, good for others would be to tell what the "original album" is. There is of course nothing original about that to begin with -  it is this "The Best of" :

image.png.ea0e34d454bb38b87c01bce32f62cfd9.png

The balance is all over wrong or strange. It is processed (OK, it is, but it shows).

Gives me the creeps, no matter how short the tracks. It is just wrong. Sorry. There's also a balance thing in the dynamics itself like drum hits not being in balance of what you'd expect for them for loudness. But this includes frequency ranges as far as I can tell.

At the start of the 2nd track within 10 seconds my wife asked me what I had done because it sounded so cold and harsh.

The S'es are too profound.

You mentioned sibilance - I think I heard that profoundly in one of the tracks only (I forgot which). But sibilance in a flangering way (top end).

It sounds heavy and inside out (phase stuff).

If I heard right it draws a little to the right side (all 4 of them). If you don't recognize that, then it's me.

I wouldn't know what't wrong with this original (collection), but I'm sure you are hearing something.

The dealbreaker for you could be my ultra fast system (from head to tail).

Maybe there's some help in my recommendation that you should not put up MP3's in the first place. I mean, the fact that you thing this is comparable, speaks. I am not saying it is so much worse, but I can pick them blindly - always. What you (Dolby) do to it should not be influenced by this. But the fact that you do it anyway, makes me things that you don't hear everything yourself (matter of having the experience and references, like you yourself with Dolby, OK ?).

Think carefully about this all; you know I carry a warm heart for you.

Peter

PS: The main worry should be the LP-like dynamics. You won't get over that IMO.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 5 weeks later...

On 8/15/2019 at 8:03 PM, PeterSt said:

Think carefully about this all; you know I carry a warm heart for you.

Peter

PS: The main worry should be the LP-like dynamics. You won't get over that IMO.

I am trying to get some balance in this thread.

I did not really count, but so far two guys with a crappy laptop balance out (sorry Alex, you know it, and I don't even recall that you elaborated of what you heard, contrary to Frank who quite precisely does (that you don't agree doesn't mean that you should not understand what he tells; it is quite easy to understand for me (read back into my post I just quoted from, if necessary)).

Then there was this other guy, I think yesterday somewhere. He with the "so-so" differences with no real preference. Not sure where to count him. He is nice.

And then of course there's me. And what I think of it is clear. I am on the other side. I also think - and said so - that what happens in/with your decoder is beyond repair. Btw, the problem with me is that I am not as nice as Frank. I am Dutch.

Remember that I too said in my best diplomacy that you probably don't hear yourself what is going on. This is today exactly a month ago. Frank hopefully did not listen to me and has his own expressions about this all.

Already a few days ago I wanted to jump in again, just on behalf of yourself. I mean that and see quote above. I let it go. But now I can't any more. Frank may make a fool of himself everywhere throughout, but not in this thread he is. You, on the other hand, twist things slightly around by making a fool of him. I suppose you feel supported by the one and only man in here who is capable of making a fool of himself x times more than Frank. Just do a post count.

But Alex knows it plus Alex is a friend. He also knows who tells it. This is way more difficult for Frank, who just received my very first upvote. It was hard to do but I did it with my heart anyway.

Having said this, I will listen to your latest because that is what you deserve, John. I am also pretty sure that you don't deserve another round of my critiquing.  So the better solution could be that I'll leave anything further unspoken. You wouldn't even know whether I listened again.

Kind regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

image.png.316643b5d1789cd8ddc95e87a4f9da4d.png

I am pretty sure I have the LP somewhere too.

I just listened through it, halfway. Couldn't find much wrong with it.

If your "-6dB" version is representative for the base you used ... a totally different thing. But so poor and so stone cold (no bass at all) that it seems hard to imagine that this has been an official release from anywhere.

I read about your 2000 collection source (if I got that right to begin with) and maybe I should look that up too, but why. The base (whatever that really means) is completely wrong.

Of course I can send you the track if needed.

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

the numerous small increments made by John along the way could not have possibly been discerned reliably using the output from a Laptop's tiny speakers  and it's mediocre audio system by Frank .

Alex, don't make a fool of yourself. You are not entitled to claim that.

Stop your loop.

XXHighEnd (developer)

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

It started to go off the rails when he didn't like my reaction to some of samples; and got personal quite quickly - there's no point degenerating into Ad hominem posts, if you want artless feedback.

Hey Frank, I saw the happening a little differently;

No matter I agree with you and can dive into your thinking, it didn't work really that you told the tracks did not satisfy you per the argument of by now 1000s of the same. That's why my suggestion to refer to the content explicitly. I know, you did later on, but it was already too late. So you rained on someone's xx-years effort parade by means of now your hourly ("magic") loop. It just does not work and you should stop being so negative. Old fart ... Stop that ever recurring story, for which people should be banned. I hope you recognize that you control this whole damn forum by means of your posts and how you post them. You managed to be right but to be unbelieved for ever.

Not well done.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

15 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I have a very logical and mature idea for the naysayers -- what I am doing (along with Alex and other newfound friends -- NONE of us is perfect) is VERY DIFFICULT to do correctly. 

Wrong start.

Don't drag in friends. This is more delicate than you think.

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Peter, are you referring to say, this post?

Frank, no, I don't think so. That would be the exact post I understand because it is just so. But you can't suffice with being that general anyway. Not after your other 1000+ posts no matter how hard you announce the "here I am again". Talk about sibilance in Agnetha's voice and how you get an orgasm at each track you hear her voice and that suddenly you're dry for several (remastered) albums. Talk about disappeared smiles. Dead birds in her eyes or whatever. Björn with a dagger. Make every day a new one, as long as what you tell is true because you really heard it.

ABBA is happiness. It shouldn't be processed to death. Explain what it ever means. And know in advance that you better not even attempt.

Try to make a point about this processing. *I* can't do it ... (although I should be able to) ...

Refer to other similar experiences all with the same result. Dirac or something. Make yourself real.

There's only one following you. Maybe that is not enough.

XXHighEnd (developer)