IGNORED

Sources of Noise

I didn't do a critical listening evaluation, but I did not notice any difference in casual listening.

OTOH, I live in an R-1 zone, don't have any Fl lights and often turn off the LED lights (on a different circuit) when listening.  The router is in a different room too.

Some poorly designed types of Asian LED lighting are well known for causing RF/EMI

The attached is a link from an official Australian Government source.

https://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Television/TV-reception/led-lights-and-tv-interference

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

29 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

That report was written 36 years ago, well before the proliferation of cheap and nasty SMPS and LED lighting etc.

Much of the interference from them is radiated, not just carried via the A.C. mains supply.

It even has the potential to disrupt Short Wave reception in many areas, as well as disrupt non local AM radio reception..

This radiated rubbish may also affect some Audio equipment, especially when from items such as Refrigerators etc. cutting in and out.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

That report was written 36 years ago, well before the proliferation of cheap and nasty SMPS and LED lighting etc.

Much of the interference from them is radiated, not just carried via the A.C. mains supply.

It even has the potential to disrupt Short Wave reception in many areas, as well as disrupt non local AM radio reception..

This radiated rubbish may also affect some Audio equipment, especially when from items such as Refrigerators etc. cutting in and out.

Are there better LED's then others?  Some LED strips use smps as well.  How does one use certain lighting (indirect lighting, spot lights, basically accent (cove) or mood lighting) in listening room without creating bad radiation? 

My rig

3 hours ago, Foggie said:

Are there better LED's then others?  Some LED strips use smps as well.  How does one use certain lighting (indirect lighting, spot lights, basically accent (cove) or mood lighting) in listening room without creating bad radiation? 

It's not the actual LEDs , it's the cheap and nasty SMPS that powers some cheap LED lighting.

Hopefully, this situation has improved recently.

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I just locate the computer & router far from the DAC.

On the other thread, I asked Sandy for some info to get a rough calculation of any radiation effects...

I shouldn't need to tell you that spark transmitters were used in the very early days of Radio with transmissions often received several thousand miles away, so it should be obvious that even the momentary arcing of a thermostat etc. may result in interference at some considerable distance from the source. Whether or not it affects an electronic component will depend mainly on how resistant the designer has made it to external RF/EMI

It seems unlikely as the EMC from a router or computer is orders of magnitude less than a spark transmitter, which of course were designed to transmit.

Noise conducted along a USB cable seems a likely candidate for the worst offender, followed by power cables (either AC or DC).

I'd put radiated noise third and last.

35 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

It seems unlikely as the EMC from a router or computer is orders of magnitude less than a spark transmitter, which of course were designed to transmit.

Noise conducted along a USB cable seems a likely candidate for the worst offender, followed by power cables (either AC or DC).

I'd put radiated noise third and last.

Let's leave signal cables aside for a while and start with the AC line (aka, mains).

You asked for sources of noise, and I have simply pointed out that AC mains aren't the only source of external electrical  noise and is more than capable of getting into a typical USB cable , not just from the source device itself

In fact, you are well aware that many E.E.s even refuse to accept that what you have quoted as a likely candidate for the worst offender even matters at all.