IGNORED

Farewell ML

Bummer, I liked his twittering machines website.   

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

7 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

For Sam. This is far, far from  from off topic regarding ML, and your claim that to the contrary is surprising as you were one of several that needled ML off of this forum and you know it. This is all available for anyone to see. Not blaming you. There is a steadily growing literature on social media toxicity and I think Michael felt it and was at a loss as to how to deal with it, as so many are. Just my opinion ,but there it is.

From the review for this forthcoming book:

"Seymour’s insights into trolling are as good as you will read on the topic. Combining base forms of sadism, a mask of ironic detachment and writing tools that seem to destroy all norms of accountability, trolling is central to this horror story, where human frailty becomes toyed with for entertainment. This isn’t going on somewhere else, he reminds us; we can all do it. Every time we take to social media, to cast someone’s else’s words or deeds in an unforgiving light, we are trolling."

This is a forum that has tolerated this behavior again and again. It's high time it stop.

Or go for a simpler explanation. Michael and I had many disagreements and he apologized to me face to face at RMAF in 2017. End of that story. Simpler explanation Michael could never attract an audience with Twittering Machines . Supported by facts dull but true. I wish him well.

41 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Simpler explanation Michael could never attract an audience with Twittering Machines . Supported by facts dull but true. I wish him well.

Thats your speculation only. Until he speaks publicly, we don't know why he's shutting down. I'm not saying you research isn't accurate, but it may have nothing to do with the reason. 

Sorry, once a journalist always a journalist.

1 minute ago, CrushingIt said:

Thats your speculation only. Until he speaks publicly, we don't know why he's shutting down. I'm not saying you research isn't accurate, but it may have nothing to do with the reason. 

Sorry, once a journalist always a journalist.

As I've said many times journalism died awhile ago.

Twittering Machines never broke 50,000 views a month according to my web traffic research.  For comparison MQA is Vaporware averages about 24,000 views a month. 

13 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

As I've said many times journalism died awhile ago.

Twittering Machines never broke 50,000 views a month according to my web traffic research.  For comparison MQA is Vaporware averages about 24,000 views a month. 

Not dead at all...like anything else in life if you have to seek good things out. 

The fact is (and facts are still important in this world) that you don't know why he shut it down. You could wait and hear it from him or continue to just guess.

2 hours ago, crenca said:

He was the first audio reviewer I came across who could describe the sound of a DAC, which is difficult to do, in a way that I could understand and correlate.

Unfortunately, he might as well have invented "social media toxicity" and was truly obnoxious.  Civility crusaders might have a little credibility (maybe) if they did not defend ML... 

I agree that some felt a reverence for ML that utterly baffled me. 

2 hours ago, CrushingIt said:

Not dead at all...like anything else in life if you have to seek good things out. 

The fact is (and facts are still important in this world) that you don't know why he shut it down. You could wait and hear it from him or continue to just guess.

In the United States journalism is dead. It took want ads to make it work and along came Craig's List and good bye revenue.

The same applies to Michael. Not enough people visit your site then your ad revenue is too low to make the venture work. All facts and common knowledge among those of us with clients or investors doing websites.

11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

In the United States journalism is dead. It took want ads to make it work and along came Craig's List and good bye revenue.

The same applies to Michael. Not enough people visit your site then your ad revenue is too low to make the venture work. All facts and common knowledge among those of us with clients or investors doing websites.

So journalism only happens in print newspapers? There are more outlets for journalism today than there have ever been. Some of them are outstanding, some not..that part probably hasn't changed.  Is there less on a local level? Yes for sure....but its there. 

And once again you are posting what may be a reason for the suspension of his site...you don't see the difference between your hypothesis and fact? 

So journalism only happens in print newspapers? There are more outlets for journalism today than there have ever been. Some of them are outstanding, some not..that part probably hasn't changed.  Is there less on a local level? Yes for sure....but its there. 

And once again you are posting what may be a reason for the suspension of his site...you don't see the difference between your hypothesis and fact? 

I have data on what the revenue potential for websites is based on advertising and sponsorship. You are making the same argument a serial entrepreneur did to me last May and failed. Twittering Machines was below a break even point that is a fact. 

8 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I have data on what the revenue potential for websites is based on advertising and sponsorship. You are making the same argument a serial entrepreneur did to me last May and failed. Twittering Machines was below a break even point that is a fact. 

Not everything can be boiled down to bean counting.

BTW, nice article from Monday:  https://twitteringmachines.com/classic-albums-bill-dixon-cecil-taylor-duets-1992/

5 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I'm not arguing your data. I'm saying that it may be irrelevant. Maybe his partner makes enough to support his " fun job"

Maybe there is an illness in his family. Maybe he's a trust fund baby. There are a dozen possible answers. You are focusing on only one. One that may or may not matter to him. 

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would be venturing guesses as to why. If you really wanted to know, I'm assuming you could email him.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would be venturing guesses as to why. If you really wanted to know, I'm assuming you could email him.

He's not the type of guy that would answer truthfully - rather he would scold you and your boldness to seek the truth in the first place 😉

In any case, @Rt66indierockhas a point about the financial viability of his latest project...it's certainly a contributing factor no doubt, even if ML is "a trust fund baby"...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I'm not arguing your data. I'm saying that it may be irrelevant. Maybe his partner makes enough to support his " fun job"

Maybe there is an illness in his family. Maybe he's a trust fund baby. There are a dozen possible answers. You are focusing on only one. One that may or may not matter to him. 

I do know him fairly well and what he did and his skill set out of audio and he knows mine.  One of the interesting things I've learned is everyone seems to know every bodies web stats in high end audio.

I have advanced a reason Michael can recover from. I can find out other reasons but I would never post it here.   

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

Using an insulting term to refer to his profession weakens your argument.

I think you are making an unwarranted assumption that could have easily been clarified with a question.Please feel free to turn it into a stronger argument if you actually value the substance of the point made.I'll look forward to it.

My intention is to refer to the statements, the steady pattern of statements here and elsewhere from this member that suggests that it all boils down to the economic bottom line and that is all that really matters.This is a kind of reductionism that, like other forms of reductionism, only tells part of the story. The poster's profession could be any number of things, and I'd still see the statement that way. A more multi-dimensional assessment is what is called for.

Apologies if this offended Stephen or you or Mikey. I intended bluntness and brevity, not belittling Stephen's career.

But on this forum where I see more offensive comments on an almost daily basis, why pick out this one?

But I've seen you let a lot worse go unchecked. Your objection is, I think, influenced by long term bias against my critical perspective, and so I take it, and Mikey's clearly partisan participation, with a large grain of Tibetan pink salt. Seems like there is a big double standard around here sometimes.

But hey, it's all about enjoying this wunnerful hobby of ours, so if it makes you happy, continue offering me remedial education so that I can learn to make better, and more civil arguments.  🦄