PurpleWarrior

Article: My Journey With The Mytek Brooklyn AMP

Rate this topic

Like the tone of the review. I would avoid any amp that takes numerous power chord attempts to finally enjoy it. I would have expected a lot more pleasure out the box for $2500.

Samsung 2TB SSD external drive > Oppo 205 USB in > McIntosh C45 > Proceed AMP5 > Mirage HDT Speakers > Velodyne HGS15 Sub // Nordost Blue Heaven Cables, PS Audio Quintet, OWC 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire

Thanks for the welcome @The Computer Audiophile, @DuckToller, et al. CA/AS has been an invaluable resource as I’ve evolved my system over the years. Hopefully I can make a positive contribution to this great community. Cheers!

Appreciate the in-depth, knowledgeable evaluation. Like how you adjusted your approach with the step up in cords, converter, etc. Agree that piano is a good way to hone in. Not sure if I’ll invest in this amp or not, but this gave me good things to consider I might not otherwise.

Thanks for the review!

Did you give the AMP enough time to warm up and settle in? I've been using the AMP (and lately two AMPs in bridged mode) for quite a while and I have never experienced another amplifier that benefits as much from a long burn-in period as this one. It sounded harsch, forward and somewhat anemic out of the box but gradually improved over a long period of use. And it really needs to be powered up from stand-by quite some time before sounding its best (which is of course a pity given the small foot print of class D amps was part of the reason the AMP interested me).

Just 2 cents from 1 owner. 

@Veovis Thanks for your perspective as an owner. Due to a variety of circumstances, the review period took place over a number of months. The first month I was unable to start the review in earnest, so the amp had a good amount of time to get settled. When I said “out of the box,” it was a bit colloquial. I was referring to using the amp “as is” with the stock power cord and default settings. Also, the unit had already seen use prior to arrival.