SuperRu

Steve Guttenberg interviews one of our forum members

Rate this topic

System costs more than my house and the 2 systems I have........

Just wow.....

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

Way to go Miguelito!   Super cool guy as well.

Extremely nice audio system, but I am even more impressed by his condo.

Home: UltraRendu | Berkeley Alpha USB | Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 | Raidho XT-1 | 2 x Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  

Desktop: Iso Regen | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 monitors | Elac S10 sub

24 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I think it’s safe to say that everybody is little jealous of this apartment / Audio setup.

If I had an apartment like that, I'd be jealous of the setup. In my place that setup wouldn't work. 
The best part though, was when he said the building is all poured concrete, and the neighbors don't complain about the stereo. 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It is a beautiful system and since he listens to it a lot, it was worth the it. That is the all that really matters.

We all have our own stories about how our audio systems have changed over time.

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - Kenwood L-07M Monoblocks

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables: MIT speaker cables and DiMarzio Interconnects

That system is synergy at work. Speakers with the room,  Amplifier with speakers and so on.

Some systems are best enjoyed over a very long time and this is certainly one of them.  Once in a while you may get a car that’s difficult to part with because it does everything so well and is great fun to drive. This is the hi-fi equivalent. Never leaves you wanting when you listen. Very nice

very nice - I'd like to see better camera work in the videos tho

I am wondering what brand of equipment stands those are?

and if anyone has built the DIY 211 amps from the Kondo design?

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Would be interesting to the back story (if any) / how did this interview begin in the first place?

"Audiophiliac home tours" ?  < my idea and I get half revenue $ 😀

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

very nice - I'd like to see better camera work in the videos tho

I am wondering what brand of equipment stands those are?

and if anyone has built the DIY 211 amps from the Kondo design?

The rack is SolidTech’s Rack Of Silence. 

People have built the Ongaku. Search online. The schematics are on the internet. 

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

The rack is SolidTech’s Rack Of Silence. 

People have built the Ongaku. Search online. The schematics are on the internet. 

Thanks - looks to give a lot of ventilation, and not too spendy either.

I've seen the schematic online; was wondering if anyone here has built it (can post in another thread if a digression)

I am also wondering what you did with your PhD? or BS? in physics from Chicago - that does not look like a Columbia post-doc's apt. ...

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

aha!  That is what I figured - terribly sad that so many people from the super-collider found themselves driving cabs...

@miguelito For many I think it may not be advisable to attempt to jump from what was  your former audio system to your current one.

However, all evidence indicates that the regular rules do not apply  here: Exceptional. 

Enjoy! 

(ps: a system I would LOVE to get my ears on)