Niko

Which linear atx PSU ?

Rate this topic

hi guys, 
i'm upgrading my installation and getting rid of the pico psu, to go full linear. For an optimal result, i'm looking to eliminate the dc-atx converter. I have found many models which seemed very good, like the Paul Hynes SR4 or the expensive UpTone Audio JS-2, to name just a few, but unfortuntely they don't power the mobo directy. The only two candidates i have found that might suit me are The HDPLEX 400w atx and the Teradak atx (275w or 380w) line, for which i have found very little feedback.

I read quite a few threads about the Hdplex 200w and heard about the reliability issues of the previous models. So i'm a little afraid that the 400w model suffers the same issues. I'm interested as well to having a SQ feedback. How does the 400w model performs against the 200w, and against the non-atx good psu like the Paul Hynes SR4 ?

Cheers.

I have an older Teradak ATX, running for about 5 years with no problems, and also the HDplex 400W ATX for over a year - no problems.

I doubt if I could tell them apart in my system for sound quality.

The Teradak cables are too long for my current setup and seem much more difficult to replace/upgrade (they use a large multi-contact well-made coupler). The HDPlex cables seem more standard and Ghent already offers these - so I would buy the HDPlex on that characteristic alone.

@motberg

Good to know that those two products seem not to have quality issues and have a similar SQ. 

Your comment about the cable length is interesting, bcz i was tending to think (according to the pictures) that the Hdplex had much longer cables than the teradak.

@Nenon

Do you know weather Sean Jacobs can build atx LPSU as well ? I didn't find the answer on his webpage.

Just by curiosity, i came through an article talking about the JCAT 400w Linear Power Supply which looks exactly the same than the HDplex. Is it the same product ?

Before i take a decision, i would like to make sure that it doesn't exist any better solution (SQ wise) for an atx lpsu. Do you have have any idea ?

Tks

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Do you know weather Sean Jacobs can build atx LPSU as well ? I didn't find the answer on his webpage.

Sure, he can. 

I talk to Sean, and his products seem very nice, but the asked price is "a little bit" steep, indeed. He quoted me 3k £ for the equivalent of the HDplex 400w atx... So i guess i'll go with the latter.