IGNORED

Which linear atx PSU ?

hi guys, 
i'm upgrading my installation and getting rid of the pico psu, to go full linear. For an optimal result, i'm looking to eliminate the dc-atx converter. I have found many models which seemed very good, like the Paul Hynes SR4 or the expensive UpTone Audio JS-2, to name just a few, but unfortuntely they don't power the mobo directy. The only two candidates i have found that might suit me are The HDPLEX 400w atx and the Teradak atx (275w or 380w) line, for which i have found very little feedback.

I read quite a few threads about the Hdplex 200w and heard about the reliability issues of the previous models. So i'm a little afraid that the 400w model suffers the same issues. I'm interested as well to having a SQ feedback. How does the 400w model performs against the 200w, and against the non-atx good psu like the Paul Hynes SR4 ?

Cheers.

@motberg

Good to know that those two products seem not to have quality issues and have a similar SQ. 

Your comment about the cable length is interesting, bcz i was tending to think (according to the pictures) that the Hdplex had much longer cables than the teradak.

@Nenon

Do you know weather Sean Jacobs can build atx LPSU as well ? I didn't find the answer on his webpage.

Just by curiosity, i came through an article talking about the JCAT 400w Linear Power Supply which looks exactly the same than the HDplex. Is it the same product ?

Before i take a decision, i would like to make sure that it doesn't exist any better solution (SQ wise) for an atx lpsu. Do you have have any idea ?

Tks

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, 

i reopen this thread, as i still haven't decided yet.

Meanwhile, i've heard of Paul Hynes produtcts, which look excellent. As i'm quiet a nooby is this fied, escpecially technically,

i was wondering weather his SR7 model could be used as a lineat atx psu, or is it a totally different construction ?.

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion, Nenon.

I'm just wondering whether adding a DC to ATX converter to the SR7 wouldn't cancel the benefits of such a premium PSU, and that i'd be better off S.Q. wise with my initial choice, i.e. an HDD Plex 500W (to come) full linear atx PSU ?

• 3 weeks later...

From my experience two rails of top LPS (i.e. Paul Hynes or Sean Jacobs), one to feed the CPU and one to feed the HdPlex DC to DC ATX converter yields better results than any of the Hdplex ATX LPS. YMMV. 

Good to know. I might then consider an SR7 with 4 rails, even though i read that the latter is inferior to single rail version, hopping that the difference won't be too much.

Lately i've been broswing the massively improve SQ thread quite a lot, and i didn't find much talking about pSUs. This let me wonder how do you guys with top systems power them up. Isn't using ATX LPSU the best option ?

Hmm, i'm a bit confused, again.

I'm not sure i understood how you got 3 rails for the ATX:
1 for the 24 pins connector
1 for the CPU (that's EPS, right ?). So that doesn't count.

So, we still have 2 rails left, assuming no sata drive will be used. One rail per connector will be used, right ? Or it doesn't work that way ?

Another reason why this is a good compromise is that you end up having an ATX controller to work with your motherboard. If you just use a Paul Hynes or Sean Jacobs LPS you don't get the ATX part. 

But the DC-ATX convertion by the HDPlex will still generate more noise than using an ATX LPSU for the mobo and EPS connectors.  That's where i don't get it why the HDPlex solution would be superior to using a SR7 with 4 rails. In my case, i'm using a single computer, so no need for the PCIe NIC rail.

Pardon my ignorance, as i didn't dig the subject until recently. I was too happy with my CD player ;)

Got it, thanks !

So, if i get you guys right, i could i.e. use an SR7 multi rails for the 3 ATX rails plus an external or pcie device, and an SR4 for the CPU, right ?

@Nenon, when you mention:

Alternatively, you can get a 4 rail linear power supply and eliminate the HDPlex DC to DC ATX, but that's a bigger hassle, because the linear power supply would not follow the ATX standard and you have to do some hacks. 

What kind of hack do you mean ? Like using adaptors and jumpers, or more like opening the case and soldering ?

Great. Thanks for your explanations. It makes me every day a little less ignorant ;).

But my point was that using a HDplex 800W DC to DC ATX to handle the ATX connector is not a bad compromise when you use good quality power supplies. 

I think that finally you convinced me. It's indeed not worth the hassle and the risk, especially when buying an expensive PSU and other PC components.

While we are speaking about DC to DC ATX converters, the HDplex 800W is the best available on the market, nowdays, right ? I would like to know whether the 400w version just as good as the latter, SQ wise ?