IGNORED

Who has tried out different USB Cables?

8 hours ago, Teresa said:

e. Return the cable for a full refund under the store's 100% satisfaction guarantee, which usually is 30 days.

Yes, either stupid or too lazy to return it to the seller for refund.

Buy the cable that you think will help your system and if it doesn't offer any difference return it and get your money back.

Perhaps you could list several of the stores that fully refund your purchase price after you have opened and used the product that they sold you? And what do they do when they get it back? Repackage it and sell it as new?

38 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Generally all you need for USB cables is to maintain a data stream through them for a few days for them to sound right.

Seriously?!?!?!

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

the longest I’ve every needed to burn in a cable was a JPS Kaptovator which took upward of 300 hours to sound like it should. Generally all you need for USB cables is to maintain a data stream through them for a few days for them to sound right.

But then if you don’t believe that USB cables make a difference a few hours operation isn’t suddenly going to transform your system such that you suddenly hear a difference. That’s a much more involved and complex process. 😁 

The process of burn-in is indeed complex and involved, but happens completely outside the cable and the electronics.

When you get the cable open it very carefully, paying attention to the fact you’re going to need to repackage it if not satisfied. For example, if its has a cellophane outer packing, don’t just rip it off; instead use a Stanley knife to make neat cuts that you can easily seal with sellotape. Similarly if there are sealed plastic bags, open them carefully with scissors so they can be easily resealed. Handle goods with while gloves so you don’t leave fingerprints on any bright work and avoid making tight bends that may crease, damage or mark the outer sleeves or insulation. Make sure you don’t install the cables where its dusty and if the cable comes in a plastic sleeve, remove that carefully and retain. If you do happen to damage the cellophane wrapper, reseal with kitchen cling film. You dealer will see you’ve done your very best to retain the original packaging quality.  Generally if you’re careful, many dealers do not have a problem with letting you try something for up to 30 days.  I simply avoid the ones who do have a problem. 

Can you tell me where you shop so I can make sure I don’t buy anything there? I have no interest in doing business with a dealer who thinks it’s OK to try and pass off used gear as new. Thanks. 

So I think we can summarise this thread as follows:

1. There are Forum members who have experienced the differences USB cables can deliver in a system and 
  2. Forum members who have never had that experience 

Within the second group there are members who’ve tried cables and failed to hear a difference and those who’ve possibly never tried designer cables because their knowledge and learning suggests that cables should not make a difference, so they’ve never bothered trying any in their system.  

So, now the question is, why do some members hear a difference and others don’t? Personally I’ve no reason to doubt the experience of both camps, but why the difference?  The differences that cables make are typically quite subtle and delicate; effects like sound stage, imaging, emotional content etc.; the first things to disappear when noise increases or resolution drops.  Better cables contribute to the removal of the masking effects of lack of resolution, noise etc. So in order to hear those effects in the first place a system has to already achieve a certain performance level, otherwise the differences are simply swallowed up.  To some degree good cables will help to minimise noise pick up, noise radiation and will help lower any masking effects, so logically it would be difficult to hear the effects of an upgraded USB cables when for example the balance of the system’s cables are masking subtle details.  

So for me, the answer is clear. There exists a large group of audiophiles Worldwide who clearly hear the contributions cables make in lowering noise floors and increasing detail recovery and they support a large and thriving cable industry. The more refined and capable the cables they add, the lower the masking effects, the greater the SQ improvements become. Similarly there are large numbers of audiophiles whose systems have never revealed the effects of cables and this group has no reason to believe that cables make a difference, because in their systems, they don’t. Why would this group add cables when they can’t hear any effect, so they don’t and the masking effects persist. 

Where this all gets ugly is when the insecurities step in and people start talking about snake oil, mental illusions, contravening the laws of physics or simply just ridiculing alternate experiences because they simply can’t accept that some others hear what they can’t. But as long as audiophiles are divided between those who’ve heard what cables can do and those who haven’t, these arguments will persist. Ad-nauseam. They’ve been around on audio forums since the beginning and they’ll no doubt still be around until  systems generally become more resolving and more revealing. The gotcha here being that such a trend involves amongst other things, cables. 

Let me ask you: have you ever tried to compare two usb cables, where you didn’t know which one is in the circuit? Have you successfully picked out the one with the night and day difference with any reasonable certainty? Why don’t you try it and come back to us with the results, say out of 10 or 15 tests. Don’t do it for me, do it for yourself. I’ve done this many, many times. It doesn’t require you to be an engineer, just a little curious.

People hear differences even when the same file is played over the same system, as long as they think that some component is changed. This is a fact of life and nothing that audiophiles can consciously control.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:26 PM, daverich4 said:

No, I didn’t ignore that passage. My only choice to try a cable is to buy it. 

no it’s not. Please use this thing called the internet to look up dealers. Thecableco.com does loaners and Audioadvisor.com offers 30 day return just to name a couple. 

On 11/2/2019 at 6:04 AM, STC said:

There are some exception to this. Often high end to DIY speakers. 😂

Long ago, while waiting for the replacement caps for the Classe Amp, I was using Yamaha Pure Sound Amp for about two or three months. 

During the said period, a group of senior audiophiles dropped by and after the listening session we discussing about amps while having  late supper. They brought up the importance of Amp power and design. They all thought the Classe at 500W per channel was the reason for the good bass from the Harbeth. That’s when I reminded them that I wasn’t using the Classe at the time. 

I have seen so many “gurus” making claims about certain house sound of the equipments and there were occasions where they just do not know which equipment was actually playing. 
No one can claim to recognize a house sound of any equipment just by listening.

Sure they can and do.... Once you've heard something many many times, in many different contexts, - that's the only way to know the house sound. How else would you "know?" Or, - are you saying that manufacturers of speakers and amps don't have a house sound?

Classe is a great example of amps that are not neutral when compared to other SS and some tube amps. Sure, - THE SYSTEM , - is going to sound different when you pair a classe with a pair of NHT stand mounts than with a pair of floor standing Wilsons. But, - if you plug in a Krell amp and compare to the Classe, - you'll get two totally different characteristics...

21 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

There is never a "right" or "wrong." if someone wants to build equipment that cuts the treble, - (For example NAD products), - that's their prerogative. (Some people may not want or can stand any sibilance, whether it's on the recording or not). Nothing wrong with building gear for those people, - even though it is not an accurate representation of what's on the recording...

I agree with you but please stay on topic or start your own thead.

19 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Two more companies that sell used merchandise for new prices. Good to know. 

My dealer sells a range of cables.  They also use the same cables during demos in their store.  If you happen to be interested in buying a cable, you can borrow one of the shop demo cables to try at home.  If you like it, you then buy a brand new one, with no likely reason to need to return it.  Is this uncommon?  It seems a straightforward approach to me.   

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

11 hours ago, Teresa said:

...I'm not even sure why I'm in this thread, I look at All Activity in the Expanded version. I must have read something in the preview that sparked my interest, I don't remember what.

Thanks @audiobomber I now remember why I first clicked on this thread as @Ralf11 asked about our experience with USB cables. Evidently I got sidetracked.

I have tried two, I purchased a $7 ten foot Dynex USB cable at Best Buy for my Teac USB DAC which I purchased to be able to play DSD music files as DSD instead of converting them to PCM. Before that I was using Mac Mini’s internal DAC with Audio Midi setup at 24/96.

When I purchased the Dynex USB I believed all USB cables sounded the same, and that was as good as I could expect from my computer music files (wav, dff and dsf.) in my system. 

A poster asked me if I had tried the Lush cable and I replied that it was not available in the 10 foot length I needed. 

Peter kindly gifted me a Lush 3 meter USB cable (slightly less than 10 feet) and just barely make it from my desk to my equipment stand. Peter doesn’t sell or recommend such a long USB cable as it is out of spec. I found the Lush to offer sound quality more to my liking. I searched and found the original post in USB audio cracked... finally! Page 93.

I was flabbergasted the sound of the Lush was more to my liking. 

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

And of course the group that uses such junk-ass meters & measuring tools that don't reflect any difference in any cable...

You are a bit out of touch with how electronics are designed...

There are many sets of measurements for analogue cables showing the differences they do impart to the signal... The same regarding digital signals, there is a big difference with transporting the information as an analogue signal or transmitting it encoded as a digital package and thus as digital signals... The use of cables in electronics is not something new and is well studied and has been for many years... A cable is basically a bit of wire with some parasitic passive elements, resistance, conductance, capacitance and inductance. The insulation (dielectric) has little to no effect for low frequency signals and only really effects velocity of propagation for high speed signals and when they get really high or are RF then some effects from VA can be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...