IGNORED

Who has tried out different USB Cables?

Please give the number of USB cables you tried out in your system, and list your DAC.

Feel free to say whether you used a cable rental place, swapped with friends, or just bought several.

Also if you have any galvanic isolation devices in your system (or know that your DAC includes this) please state which one, or none.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, barrows said:

1.  Is the Ethernet interface powered by a completely separate power supply from the rest of the DAC?

2.  Is the Ethernet interface's output fully galvanically isolated from the rest of the DAC?

3.  Does the Ethernet interface offer optical input?

4.  How good is the clock running the Ethernet interface?

5.  Does the Ethernet interface support all sample rates to 768 PCM and DSD 512 (or even higher)?

6.  Is the Ethernet interface well shielded physically from the rest of the DAC circuitry?

7.  What software is the Ethernet interface running and is compatible with things like HQPlayer?

The above are just the tip of the icebaerg, and the obvious things which I am aware of.  I am sure that John Swenson could point out many, many more (highly technical) design details which matter to the sonic performance of a really good Ethernet interface.

As what we have with an Ethernet Renderer is a small computer, if one is going to put that inside a DAC, one has to be very careful to isolate the noise produced by that computer from the DAC circuitry-computer processors are by their nature sources of noise.  Doing this right, inside a DAC is not simply done, or very affordable, that is why the best stand alone Renderers cost significant money.  Again I am not saying it is impossible, just a bit difficult and expensive, and I do believe in the future we will see more DACs with well implemented high performance (sound quality) Ethernet interfaces.

Yes, indulgence (papal ones are on sale now)

1,2,3 suggest parasitic leakage currents from the ethernet circuitry into the low level signals of the DAC

The WiFI mod/demod argument isn't established as far as I'm aware

ok, does everyone agree agree that [1] the eye pattern can look fine even tho there is noise on the USB lines?

and that [2] some level of noise on the USB lines could theoretically cause a decrease in SQ (whether it has been measured on the ground plane or wherever inside a DAC)?

21 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

There is never a "right" or "wrong." if someone wants to build equipment that cuts the treble, - (For example NAD products), - that's their prerogative. (Some people may not want or can stand any sibilance, whether it's on the recording or not). Nothing wrong with building gear for those people, - even though it is not an accurate representation of what's on the recording...

I agree with you but please stay on topic or start your own thead.

• 2 months later...