IGNORED

Who has tried out different USB Cables?

Printer cable, Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter, Audioquest Forest, Audioquest Carbon, Curious Cable. Schiit Gungnir Multibit, Auralic Vega & PS Audio Directstream Sr. DACs.  Sometimes I think I hear a difference between the DACs but if there’s a difference in the sound between the cables, including random printer cables, I’m not able to identify it. Oh yeah, bought everything, still have all of it. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

So OK, here’s a question

Audiofyle magazine’s June copy includes a review of a new USB cable, which they claim is really wonderful, heaping praise on the amount of detail, air, ambience and the blacker than a very black thing silences it produces. 

I call my dealer and I get one to try. I put into my system and indeed it sounds to me exactly like Audiofyle describe. So what’s my next move? Now bear in mind that I’m not an EE and the only test and measurement gear I own is a continuity meter and a wall stud, pipe and wire finder. 

Do I 

a. Buy the cable and enjoy the increased performance?

b. Buy the cable and send it to a lab for measurement because I don’t trust my ears?

c. Invite 2 other audiophiles to help me set-up and conduct a blind test, because again I don't trust my own ears? 

Of course, if I don’t believe that cables can make a difference, I’m never going to bother to get the cable to try in the first place.   The classic self fulfilling prophecy. 

d. Buy the cable and feel ripped off because I trust my ears and don't hear any difference.

8 hours ago, Teresa said:

e. Return the cable for a full refund under the store's 100% satisfaction guarantee, which usually is 30 days.

Yes, either stupid or too lazy to return it to the seller for refund.

Buy the cable that you think will help your system and if it doesn't offer any difference return it and get your money back.

Perhaps you could list several of the stores that fully refund your purchase price after you have opened and used the product that they sold you? And what do they do when they get it back? Repackage it and sell it as new?

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

When you get the cable open it very carefully, paying attention to the fact you’re going to need to repackage it if not satisfied. For example, if its has a cellophane outer packing, don’t just rip it off; instead use a Stanley knife to make neat cuts that you can easily seal with sellotape. Similarly if there are sealed plastic bags, open them carefully with scissors so they can be easily resealed. Handle goods with while gloves so you don’t leave fingerprints on any bright work and avoid making tight bends that may crease, damage or mark the outer sleeves or insulation. Make sure you don’t install the cables where its dusty and if the cable comes in a plastic sleeve, remove that carefully and retain. If you do happen to damage the cellophane wrapper, reseal with kitchen cling film. You dealer will see you’ve done your very best to retain the original packaging quality.  Generally if you’re careful, many dealers do not have a problem with letting you try something for up to 30 days.  I simply avoid the ones who do have a problem. 

Can you tell me where you shop so I can make sure I don’t buy anything there? I have no interest in doing business with a dealer who thinks it’s OK to try and pass off used gear as new. Thanks.