IGNORED

Who has tried out different USB Cables?

23 minutes ago, musicguy said:

7 cables,  gen 5 gumby.

Uptone mac mini-blackcat coppertone usb- isoregen/lps1.2-  4 different headphone amps.  5 different headphones.   (I work nights so its really hard on the weekends to listen to my big stereo, up at nights)

By far, my new Blackcat coppertone usb cable beats all my other cables by a huge margin.  Second would be Blackcats silverstar usb.  I wont even give a third because they are so far below the blackcat cables i wont even use them now.

But the Blackcat coppertone usb is such a huge step up.  I would problably have to spend double if not more to beat it.   The  improvements im hearing in my music now is amazing!   Plus the new uptone mac mini project was a major step up also.

This is the first time in my life i have really enjoy computer audio.  Before it was just for back ground music while reading on the pc.  Now!!  I have probably one of the best front ends i have ever heard.   I plan on building a second system for my  2 channel.

musicguy

I found out that mac mini USB connection to 5 gen mb Gungnir works better without regen. But, I was using first regen version. Supra USB cable.

27 minutes ago, musicguy said:

@AnotherSpin

From what i understand,  Uptone says the isoregen is a whole new beast.  Maybe Alex can chime in.  Ive never heard the original regen.  I did an isoregen vs no isoregen.  I used a eitr with coxial,  which i know is a different signal path,  but then i would swap everything,  I would   put the isoregen on the eitr and the usb direct to the gen 5 gumby.  The isoregen always won no matter what it was put on.  Even a Gustard U12.  Gustard U12-isoregen vs usb straight  Gen 5  =  Winner was isoregen Gustard.  

Now  I will say that the iso regen and  the lps1.2  really let me hear differences in usb cable.  I mean  The signal going into the isoregen really mattered for the first time.  Before I thought most of my usb cables were more similar than different.   Now?  I hear a much bigger difference in sound quality, fullness,  imaging,  depth,  and such.   Most of my closed sounding headphones now sound Like they are out of my head.

Just my .02 cents

musicguy

Never had ISO regen, so can not tell anything here. Cables were quite different with original regen as well. Even more, regen+Supra sounded better than regen+Nordost Blue Heaven, while Supra without regen was less preferable than Blue Heaven without regen. Go figure...) However, Gungnir 5 gen provides its own way of dealing with USB, as you know.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, sandyk said:

It may now be rather trivial for any manufacturer to have a good USB inout in a DAC, yet the disturbing fact remains that even when an Iso Regen is used, differences can still often be heard between USB cables. Barrows himself has said this "Even with a DAC with a well a galvanically isolated USB interface the difference was not subtle."  [...]

And, there are differences between Ethernet cables. Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 7, Cat 8 all influence the sound in different way, because of different construction or other factors.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to witness this exchange of well grounded opinions, which is extremely illuminating beyond any measurable extent.

However, would anybody mention any particular USB cables brands/makes in not too exorbitant price categories which would be considered for listening?

Please stay calm those who firmly set in "all cables are the same" Truth.