IGNORED

Who has tried out different USB Cables?

15 hours ago, barrows said:

Because the Ethernet interfaces built into most current DACs (for those that even offer them) are often poor performers.  I am very particular about DACs, and I would never choose a DAC based on whether or not it had an ethernet interface.  It is now rather trivial for any manufacturer to have a good USB inout in a DAC, this is not so with an ethernet interface which is much more difficult to develop and implement, and requires much more attention to do it right.  And putting WiFi in any audio component is a very good way to seriously degrade audio performance.

I do believe, that ultimately, there will be very good DACs, with very good Ethernet interfaces built in, we are just not there yet, although the Linn Klimax DS is one DAC with Ethernet which is very, very good (but still somewhat limited in sample rate).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but is there any evidence to support this assertion? What would you suggest I look at to become more familiar with this if anything?  Thanks!

"Let's pick a tune and get out of this mess"  - Earl Scruggs

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington

It is odd that ethernet intitially had or has better isolation than USB simply because of it's original intended use.  It also uses basically a small transformer at each end to reduce noise.  As mentioned fiber is the only way to have galvanic isolation but the original spec for USB was no where near as robust as ethernet.   USB is certainly a more flexible interface and that's why more development has been going on there.   I think the market has decided that usb is better perhaps because it's more familiar with it than ethernet. Interesting, and by now, it probably is inherently better.

"Let's pick a tune and get out of this mess"  - Earl Scruggs

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington