ted_b

Beatles Abbey Road in 5.1, Dolby Atmos and new stereo

Rate this topic

Just to save others the trouble:

Abbey Road’s Super Deluxe box set presents 40 tracks – including “The Long One” Trial Edit & Mix for the album’s epic Side 2 medley – on three CDs (stereo) and one Blu-ray disc (Dolby Atmos, 96kHz/24 bit high resolution stereo, and 96 kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1). The four discs are housed in a slip-sleeved 12” by 12” 100-page hardbound book with McCartney’s foreword; Martin’s introduction; insightful, in-depth chapters written by Beatles historian, author, and radio producer Kevin Howlett covering the months preceding The Beatles’ Abbey Road sessions, track-by-track details and session notes, the cover art and photo shoot, and the album’s reception upon its release; plus an essay by music journalist and author David Hepworth looking at the album’s influence through 50 years. The gorgeous book is illustrated with rare and previously unpublished photographs, including many taken by Linda McCartney; never before published images of handwritten lyrics, sketches, and a George Martin score; Beatles correspondence, recording sheets, and tape boxes; and reproduced original print ads. The Super Deluxe digital audio collection presents all 40 tracks for download purchase and streaming in standard and MFiT formats, as well as in high resolution audio (96kHz/24 bit) for download.

--

Do facts matter?

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Mark the calendar for Sep 27!!  :):)

https://abbeyroad.thebeatles.com/

They will get my money again. But The original and the digital releases sound really good. I wonder what this will sound like? Hopefully not too much added volume compression. 

Does this mean Revolver or Rubber Soul for Christmas? 

Main listening (small home office):

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Amazed I can't see it on Amazon yet. Geographical?

oops, as soon as I wrote that it came online:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VLMMG28/?tag=ilovethatsong-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=c7b56f62ea3c3cc3cee52f09a63f48f2

Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS >SOtM Lan Isolator>Bricasti M5 Network Player >Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: CAPS Pipeline>IFi iOne DAC>Schiit Freya>Kii Three . Also an SBT and a RB Pi 3B+ running piCorePlayer as an SBT emulator. 

11 hours ago, firedog said:

They will get my money again. But The original and the digital releases sound really good. I wonder what this will sound like? Hopefully not too much added volume compression. 

Does this mean Revolver or Rubber Soul for Christmas? 

They will get my money too. The challenge here will be not double spending. I really want the cd boxed set to ensure I have the blu-ray, and the book. If the digital hi-res sound quality is really good, that means paying out for both :(

JC

Wow, just saw at the Hoffman forum that amazon.ca mistakenly priced the full set at about $28 US for a few hours till they realized their mistake. Missed it. 

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Wow, just saw at the Hoffman forum that amazon.ca mistakenly priced the full set at about $28 US for a few hours till they realized their mistake. Missed it. 

A few years ago HDTracks made the same mistake.  It was 3:00 a.m. on a Friday, there Email came through, went to the website to check out the metal category that was advertised and all the albums there were for $1.27.  I bought 11 of them. Four of the bands I never heard of. An hour later the price was corrected. 

PC/NAS/JRiver/Roon - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - KEF LS50 Nocturne - Rel 328 subwoofer - PS Audio AC5 Power cables 

13 hours ago, firedog said:

I saw that in the Hoffman Forum too, and then realized that I literally missed that $28.00 price by less than half an hour. Which, unfortunately, sums up a great deal of my life.

JC

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-edition-first-listen

first listen to digital and atmos. Don't be alarmed - he starts off describing how terrible it sounded, apparently they had some problem with the setup in the demonstration. Afterwards he heard the atmos version properly played back, and said it sounded fine, similar to an original British pressing, and not too altered. 

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/abbey-road-50th-anniversary-edition-heard-real-stereo-system

Michael Fremer heard the CD version....and really liked it! Said it sounds better than any version other than his original, very early UK pressing of the LP. 
Said no big changes, just better ability to hear detail that wasn't always clear in the original, and better bass and drums definition. Says it doesn't sound like it has added volume compression - or at least not much. 
If Fremer liked the sound of the CD-it must be good. 

I hope, with the addition of Atmos, that they prioritized standard 5.1 and didn’t do some hinky downmixing from Atmos work