IGNORED

Optimizing NUC + Euphony Stylus + iFi into SA-10

Hi all and @Anwar,

I am running the euphony trial atm and so far so good on a single Celeron NUC.

I have had the ifi iDefender isilencer when they came out but only got a little to nothing in increased/perceived fidelity on an old PC/ phone transport.

As i have an external SSD i tried both in series, as before i had on the upstream usb cable to an intona/ iso regen...  (played around experimenting 😉) maybe something there??, hard to tell easily.

I searched Euphony and found yours thread below bobs great experiments thread and saw you had two isilencers.

I really am suprised at the second in the unused back port that came today.

A quick isopropyl clean and deoxit then in but what a change, it really has snapped back into focus the outer detail in my music, sounds shaper and more defined.

I didnt expect much if anything but wow really happy.

Not sure if the idefender i am using to port 5v from a phone battery bank is helping reduce noise from the ssd/reducing bus noise?

Normally I at least try and get a few more results from others before endorsing anything so if you have these in a draw or secondary system try it.

I may be tempted to by a third to see if it scales or diminishing returns or nothing.

Magic factor x2 for me? ifi state double for double noise reduction

I know the big boys dont use NUCs as it has no ATX connections for separate clean rails and the NUC uses DC to DC converters. So this is maybe reducing that noise but whats more important clean DC or packet noise? 

Just a big thank you all and if i push for a third ill chime in on any changes.

A silly question have you also removed the monitor keyboard  mouse. It helps as much as going to a fanless case...

(Or those considering going trying a NUC or Euphony)

Good luck 

Dave😀

Ps my system is a bit more than mentioned ;

Chord Quest powered by

Uptone LPS1 7v to Ldvr DXP LT3045 regs 5V out to DC ipurifier2

Intona feeding ISOREGEN lps1 to DAC

To head amp Gilmore lite MK2 

MrSpeakers Ether and Ether2 headphones

Modded 13v Sbooster: new low ESR Caps, quad core canare replaced cable with older DC Ipurifier hard wired in feeding the NUC

Balanced isolation transformer to 230v sinewave regenerator. 

X1 AC I purifier..

Alot when you actally write it down... if the wife realised..

Sorry i never asked is the NUC in its original case or in a fanless one?

Going fanless does add a bit more detail again. Lots of detail on doing it here or a PC ahop can do it quick i imagine for very little...

Trying one more isilencer as i was so impressed with the improvement. Detail and new 3 dimensional aspect made me stay up late re listening to my favourite tracks. For me it was almost as big a leap from original NUC /windows to Linux euphony +fanless case. Comes tomorrow  from Amazon.. so fingers crossed

The third I silencer added maybe a little more but this was added to a front usb port with the Memory stick. Last being free for the usb out.

I am still not sure if the original is broken as the leap in SQ was so profound.

I cant see another way to filter the switching voltage noise on a NUC mobo. You can add clean power in with expensive PSUs or reclock outward usb DATA signal out with custom hardware. 

The modded 13v Sbooster is staying, cant afford a Sean jacobs Paul Haynes or UPtone LPS1.2. My cash went on the new Dan clark Ether2 headphone. 

I can't remove any hardware to reduce this and give Euphony a chance to shine, so i will try the Apacer DDR3  ram as a last tweak as this is meant to help especially as this is where its stored in ramroot.

I hope it lives up to its reputation as it was more expensive than my second hand NUC.

No big experiments but so far the 2 i silencers near the power supply yielded the magic. The third maybe helped more..

Ill report if the top end Apacer Ram makes a difference.

Cheers

Dave