IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

1 minute ago, k6davis said:

You just have install the driver. Being a Linux noob myself, I looked up how to do that. There are a few commands, one figures out what the latest driver is & downloads it (something about "ppa"). The next actually installs it. I don't remember the specifics, but they are easy to find.

No worries. It was the top Google result:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/18747/how-do-i-install-run-files

Overall looks easier than I expected.

Thanks for the tips!

One final question @k6davis (and I'm sure all this will help others in future).

If installing Ubuntu Server , how to see GPU usage via command line, to check that the GPU is actuall being used by HQP? And to see how much GPU is active.

I've always used top command but for CPU.

Is there a simple and recommended command?

12 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

If installing Ubuntu Server , how to see GPU usage via command line, to check that the GPU is actuall being used by HQP? And to see how much GPU is active.

I've always used top command but for CPU.

Is there a simple and recommended command?

This will do it.

Like I said, I'm a Linux noob, but I typed in the commands from here verbatim and it worked perfectly. 

The only thing they didn't explicitly state was that you should put "sudo" in front of the last command.

make install # You may need sufficient permission for that (root)

... will likely need to be...

sudo make install # You may need sufficient permission for that (root)

.. which you wouldn't know if you don't know anything about Linux, but it appears that you do @asdf1000.

It's a nice GPU monitoring app.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

5 hours ago, sledwards said:

Once you get the latest driver installed, you can type: sudo nvidia-smi to get GPU process info too.

This is correct and is quick, easy and effective for verifying that you GPU/Cuda is working. It provides a single, static snapshot of the GPU usage stats, which can be all you need.

Image result for nvidia-smi

nvtop, the more involved solution I found (2 posts ago), gives you continuous and graphical monitoring in color, more like Windows Task Manager, or Linux "htop". 

nvtop Nvidia GPU top

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

On my i7-6700 playing redbook, I noticed CPU utilization went down a bit when I unchecked the Multicore DSP option.  

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

37 minutes ago, tboooe said:

On my i7-6700 playing redbook, I noticed CPU utilization went down a bit when I unchecked the Multicore DSP option.  

Yes. Multicore can behave in mysterious ways so it should be experimented with - especially when Cuda is also being used.

Also, try DSD5EC. It has a lower CPU load and I really like the sound of it.

16 hours ago, shadowlight said:

My setup is Dell Server with quad Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v2 @ 3.50GHz six core server with 64GB of memory, running Ubuntu Bionic LTS with latest patches and latest version of embedded.  The result of top has cpu usage value around 1000 when using EC modulator and around 400 when using ASDM7.  I think I still have plenty of CPU cycles available, since 100% load across all CPU would be 2400 so I am currently under 50%.

@Miska

is there a way to optimize CPU load under embedded?

If you have 4 sockets of E5-2643 (quad core), that means total of 16 cores. So 1600 would be full load on all cores, not including threads.

However, if some of the cores reach close to 100% load individually, you are close to maximum and get capped by clock frequency of a single core. For EC modulators I would say you need at least four cores running minimum of 4 GHz, plus what ever is needed to run the filters (if not offloaded to GPU).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

If you have 4 sockets of E5-2643 (quad core), that means total of 16 cores. So 1600 would be full load on all cores, not including threads.

However, if some of the cores reach close to 100% load individually, you are close to maximum and get capped by clock frequency of a single core. For EC modulators I would say you need at least four cores running minimum of 4 GHz, plus what ever is needed to run the filters (if not offloaded to GPU).

The server in question has 6 cores per cpu - E5-2643 v2.  I will look into seeing if there is something that I can do at the Bios level.  Can I do anything similar @ OS / Embedded level.  Multicore is currently set @ auto.

From hqplayerd log.

2019/08/11 23:09:52 Parallel threads: 24
2019/08/11 23:09:52 Nested parallelism: 4
2019/08/11 23:09:52 Parallel pipelines: 4

14 minutes ago, agillis said:

It’s not the i9-9900K (95W TDP) though, right?

The ‘K’ is what people have working, PCM192k to DSD256 with ext2 and ASDM7EC.

All discussed in this thread.

There is a 110W TDP Streacom case, DB4

21 hours ago, tboooe said:

I have to have CUDA offload checked for it to work properly, but multi-core greyed and not checked for the CPU to work below 30%.

I don't know if that's how it's supposed to behave though...

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

When multicore is grayed, HQPlayer calculates if there are suitable number of real CPU cores available for the case and decides whether to parallelize certain operations or not (knowing how many threads there would be vs how many cores are available). When multicore is checked, all parallelization is blindly turned on regardless how many CPU cores there are vs the needed workload.

Calculation is always an estimate, so is some cases, forcing everything in parallel may yield better results when things are really on the edge, but this is really up to experimentation in each particular case and configuration. In most cases, grayed (auto) option should yield in fairly optimal results.

The forthcoming AMD Ryzen 9 3950X may present an opportunity for the best HQP performance yet, with 16 cores and 32 threads and the largest ever cache. But all of those cores run slightly slower than the cores of my i7-9700K. 

It will be very interesting to see if it's capable of anything that the i7-9700K is not regarding HQP EC. 

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

When multicore is grayed, HQPlayer calculates if there are suitable number of real CPU cores available for the case and decides whether to parallelize certain operations or not (knowing how many threads there would be vs how many cores are available). When multicore is checked, all parallelization is blindly turned on regardless how many CPU cores there are vs the needed workload.

Calculation is always an estimate, so is some cases, forcing everything in parallel may yield better results when things are really on the edge, but this is really up to experimentation in each particular case and configuration. In most cases, grayed (auto) option should yield in fairly optimal results.

guess it's chance rather than AI inside but for the first time I have been able to listen to, in a row, several DSD 64 tracks turned 128+Convolution with DSD5EC

20 hours ago, shadowlight said:

The server in question has 6 cores per cpu - E5-2643 v2.  I will look into seeing if there is something that I can do at the Bios level.  Can I do anything similar @ OS / Embedded level.  Multicore is currently set @ auto.

From hqplayerd log.

2019/08/11 23:09:52 Parallel threads: 24
2019/08/11 23:09:52 Nested parallelism: 4
2019/08/11 23:09:52 Parallel pipelines: 4

Ahh, yes, v2 is 6-core. What does the log say about number of CPU cores? Is it correct for total?

For filters, this is a very good setup with high memory bandwidth for each CPU. I could optimize such configurations further and hopefully will do so in near future.

Challenge with modulators is that there's a limit how much the work can be parallelized, rest relies on raw core performance. Multi-socket helps on that, since each socket can have fewer cores at higher clock speeds.

I will continue trying to optimize the new modulators to run on wider variety of hardware.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ahh, yes, v2 is 6-core. What does the log say about number of CPU cores? Is it correct for total?

For filters, this is a very good setup with high memory bandwidth for each CPU. I could optimize such configurations further and hopefully will do so in near future.

Challenge with modulators is that there's a limit how much the work can be parallelized, rest relies on raw core performance. Multi-socket helps on that, since each socket can have fewer cores at higher clock speeds.

I will continue trying to optimize the new modulators to run on wider variety of hardware.

I will take a look at it tonight.  Is there a quick way to identify how many cores HQPd is seeing from the logs?

15 minutes ago, k6davis said:

The forthcoming AMD Ryzen 9 3950X may present an opportunity for the best HQP performance yet, with 16 cores and 32 threads and the largest ever cache. But all of those cores run slightly slower than the cores of my i7-9700K. 

It will be very interesting to see if it's capable of anything that the i7-9700K is not regarding HQP EC. 

I will certainly try the new AMD chip when it becomes available here. Large cache should notably help with filters.

4 minutes ago, shadowlight said:

I will take a look at it tonight.  Is there a quick way to identify how many cores HQPd is seeing from the logs?

Yes, quite early on you have this kind of report:

2019/07/24 23:48:23 Number of processor cores: 4
  2019/07/24 23:48:23 DSP thread pools disabled
  2019/07/24 23:48:23 DSP pipelines disabled
  2019/07/24 23:48:23 Pipelined DSP engine enabled

On 8/11/2019 at 11:09 PM, Xoverman said:

I can run EC filters to DSD256 on 4core CPU @4Ghz, do you think it would be possible to run DSD512 on 8 or 12core CPU @4GHz. Or doesn't it scale that whel? 

You'll need to scale clock speed instead of cores. That's what makes it tricky...