IGNORED

HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

ted_b

42 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

It could depend on system/components. My set would be similar in certain level (macmini with HQP -> Netgear GS105 -> NUC NAA) When Netgear was powered by generic PSU I heard difference between router connected and disconnected mode. Now, when it powered with LPSU the difference, if any, is so small I do not bother with router connection anymore. Plan to get LPS for router, however...)

I'm not quite understanding the network topology here. From what I read, there are 4 components: a router, a switch, the HQP server and a NUC NAA. Exactly how are they connected? And what benefit does the switch provide?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Originally the ASUS 86(not 68) is to separate my music intranet from the router from the rest of my home's internet traffic. 

So broadband router (fr my ISP) connect by Ethernet cable to Asus AC 86 then to a Netgear GS-105 ; this GS105 uses the small signal transformers (built in) to provide a second level of noise isolation. 

What i did was to disconnect the Ethernet cable between the broadband router and the Asus AC-86.. The asus provides the internet address to the netgear gs105 !! The HQplayer server and the SOTM sm200 ultra neo are BOTH connected to the Netgear GS105.. 

Hqplayer CAN link up to the NAA if u let the Asus and Netgear powerup establish the IP addresses/linkage before u fire up the Sotm sm200!

Then u fire up the Hqplayer server!

The connection is very stable; for hours and dozens of albums!

Power fluctuations can drop the link I find!

I have my DAC and Sotm and the Uptone Isoregen on 1 circuit (with associated LPSU's) My speaker and HP amps (tube and SS) are on a different circuit .. When I switch between speaker and HP, link is solid . No dropping

Moved to appropriate thread.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Yes Roon may work Why not try ? A Netgear gs105 i paid 48usd on lazada? The lpsu 68usd from aliexpress! I am listening to Pat Metheny Trio Live Disc 1 .. u know SQ is up to grade when the audience sounds, the clapping , u hear the drum stick hit the skin and it sounds real.. Cheap and giant bang for the buck! Ooh my cables are 3usd Cat6 generic brand each ! All JSSG with the ground cables extended tied back to the  Earth on 1 unused socket on my Furutech distributor! Seems to drain the JSSG shield potential to Earth! 

My system background sound is Very quiet! Note that my 6700k server uses a Corsair RM550x ATX psu Not LPSU.. but I hv JSSG all my cables SSD 5v 24pin to the LPSU (1 for the OS and 1 for the music SSD; ATX, CPU EPS 2x8pin, 2x6pin GPU ( i got earth wires streaming out of my PC case) !! Works for me😁

Messy cheap and good

10 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

In your BIOS, have you selected “fanless” option?

What if you tell the BIOS you have a fan, so turbo boost is enabled?

If you have properly installed sufficient CPU passive cooling, there shouldn’t be any concern with allowing turbo-boost? Or is this the concern?

Yes in BIOS I have disabled the monitoring of the fan, otherwise comes at boot time every time an error message.

Turbo Boost I use without fan. No problem. The power supply is no problem at all. But after some time I come with the new EC modulators with DSD 256 in the critical temperature range. The CPU then regulates down and at least source material from 192kHz is no longer played smoothly. I can live with that, but I did not want to leave the disadvantages unmentioned.

The other modulators with DSD 512 are unproblematic in my fanless system.

25 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

But after some time I come with the new EC modulators with DSD 256 in the critical temperature range.

So it's the case itself perhaps?

I see for your case:

"Cooling: Heatpipe Direct Touch 4 Pipes – Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W"

But the DB4 Streacom case can properly support 110W TDP (with extra copper accessory) , so has a much higher margin above 95W

Personally the DB4 is the case I would choose with i9-9900K

16 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Cooling: Heatpipe Direct Touch 4 Pipes – Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W

That's a good point. Now the case should fit into my hi-fi rack, so I chose:

Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX

2 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

That's a good point. Now the case should fit into my hi-fi rack, so I chose:

Streacom FC9 Alpha (Black) - Desktop - micro ATX

I know, that's where I got: Cooling: Heatpipe Direct Touch 4 Pipes – Recommended CPU TDP 65W, Max TDP 95W"

Personally the DB4 is the case I would choose with i9-9900K

DB4   can properly support 110W TDP (with extra copper accessory) , so has a good margin above 95W

But may not fit in your rack, it's very big

5 hours ago, k6davis said:

I'm not quite understanding the network topology here. From what I read, there are 4 components: a router, a switch, the HQP server and a NUC NAA. Exactly how are they connected? And what benefit does the switch provide?

router -> macmini -> netgear -> NUC. Netgear works as additional filter between macmini and NUC NAA. What is you topology in comparison?

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

But after some time I come with the new EC modulators with DSD 256 in the critical temperature range. The CPU then regulates down and at least source material from 192kHz is no longer played smoothly. I can live with that

Live with replacing a scorched socket, bursting caps, and a host of other problems that grow exceedingly probable under these conditions.  Critical here really does mean critical, as in STOP.  

Resistant though you may be, the few dollars and few hours of thought towards powering/isolating something like a Noctua 150mm or Fractal Design HF-14 fan begin to sound feasible.  At least temporarily.  Especially if SQ at EC 128 bests 512 with normal modulators in your system. 

After pushing one end so high it might be time to pull up the bits dragging.  :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

router -> macmini -> netgear -> NUC. Netgear works as additional filter between macmini and NUC NAA. What is you topology in comparison?

router -> HQP Server

router -> NUC NAA

I didn't know you could connect the HQP Server directly to the NAA. That would require 2 Ethernet ports on the server though, right? In from the router and out to the Netgear/NUC NAA? 

Is the Netgear switch required or is it an enhancement? 

46 minutes ago, k6davis said:

router -> HQP Server

router -> NUC NAA

I didn't know you could connect the HQP Server directly to the NAA. That would require 2 Ethernet ports on the server though, right? In from the router and out to the Netgear/NUC NAA? 

Is the Netgear switch required or is it an enhancement? 

Yes, mac mini has only one ethernet port, but I use one of its usb ports for connecting router through usb to ethernet adapter. Actually, I was trying even simpler version: router -> mini -> NUC. And, also direct mini -> NUC short ethernet connection. The last one was tricky, because only Euphony NAA on a NUC recognized this connection without hassle. Direct connection provides very good sound. But, Netgear powered by LPSU and added in the middle may work as an additional filter between mini, which is powered by its original internal SMPS, and NUC which is powered by PH LPSU. 

43 minutes ago, rando said:

Live with replacing a scorched socket, bursting caps, and a host of other problems that grow exceedingly probable under these conditions.  Critical here really does mean critical, as in STOP.  

What do you mean, what stress gamers expect their systems? That's why I choose a gaming board:

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene

That can endure a lot. Rotating fans are definitely not for me. Anyone can see that as he wants. 😉

9 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

What do you mean, what stress gamers expect their systems? That's why I choose a gaming board:

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Gene

That can endure a lot. Rotating fans are definitely not for me. Anyone can see that as he wants. 😉

Forget fans for a minute.  

Yes that board is designed for stressing certain elements in a reasonably secure way.  What you appear not to grasp is how far above any realistic capability you are taking environmental factors.  

If makes not a whit of difference how you produce a dangerous amount of heat.  OC, not OC, egregiously dangerous settings, or not providing ample thermal discharge in the name of perceived SQ.  Your consumer level gaming board is not rated to the level of a purpose built industrial design meant to be reliably placed in harsh conditions without need for human intervention.

I will say no more.  Your server, your right to do with it as you please. B|

1 hour ago, rando said:

Forget fans for a minute.  

Yes that board is designed for stressing certain elements in a reasonably secure way.  What you appear not to grasp is how far above any realistic capability you are taking environmental factors.  

If makes not a whit of difference how you produce a dangerous amount of heat.  OC, not OC, egregiously dangerous settings, or not providing ample thermal discharge in the name of perceived SQ.  Your consumer level gaming board is not rated to the level of a purpose built industrial design meant to be reliably placed in harsh conditions without need for human intervention.

I will say no more.  Your server, your right to do with it as you please. B|

It’s probably the fanless case... which is recommended for 65W TDP...

The 110W TDP case I mentioned offers better safety margin.

Just now, JTS said:

The tempuratures and benchmark performance are not quite as good as my overclock, but as they say in the industry, good enough for TV.

JTS, what do you mean here about the temperatures being not as good as your OC ones.  I gotta assume OC produces more heat, right?

Has anyone gotten asdm7ec working under embedded.  I have no problems getting asdm7 and xtr-lp-2s up to 512, but even 256 is stuttering for me.

My setup is Dell Server with quad Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v2 @ 3.50GHz six core server with 64GB of memory, running Ubuntu Bionic LTS with latest patches and latest version of embedded.  The result of top has cpu usage value around 1000 when using EC modulator and around 400 when using ASDM7.  I think I still have plenty of CPU cycles available, since 100% load across all CPU would be 2400 so I am currently under 50%.

@Miska

is there a way to optimize CPU load under embedded?

Everything is wired.  The Asus Router is running in AP mode I will move that connection to another gigabit switch just to make sure that it's not the issue.  I do not believe that is the problem.

image.thumb.png.2a04a16d5176254c16ddd60ebd309038.png